Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear Colleagues I want to know, how could I find that, I am monitored by a software installed in my Linux box. When I check the services of my Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Am I being monitored?

Dear Colleagues

I want to know, how could I find that, I am monitored by a software installed in my Linux box.

When I check the services of my Linux box, most of the services are in sleep mode

Thanks

Amitha

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by amithad View Post
    Dear Colleagues

I want to know, how could I find that, I am monitored by a software installed in my Linux box.

When I check the services of my Linux box, most of the services are in sleep mode

Thanks

Amitha
    What do you mean by "being monitored"? And monitored for what? Is that computer in a network within your organization? If so, maybe there is a network management system installed to monitor your machine for CPU & RAM utilization, disk quota, and stuff like that - and that's perfectly normal.
    Otherwise, please be more specific.

Dear Gacanepa,

I meant survillance not the normal SNMP monitoring. Monitoring my acctivities as remote admin software.

Thanks

Amitha

Just Joined!
    Of course that is a possibility. For example, your sysadmin can monitor your incoming / outgoing emails if you're receiving / sending them through a mail server within your organization. Also, if you're connecting to the Internet using a Proxy, every site you visit is logged and your sysadmin also has access to that. These are only a few examples of how your activities can be monitored. If you are using a mail server and a proxy (especially if it requires an user name and password to connect to the Internet) you can be pretty sure you're being monitored.

Dear Gacanepa,

I know that proxy can be used to monitor internet activities. I meant a software installed in my Linux box to view my screen.

Thanks

Amitha

Just Joined!
    I meant a software installed in my Linux box to view my screen.

Thanks

Amitha
    You should have stated that in the first place.
    Then you should look for something named vnc or teamviewer (for example) in the list of running processes in your computer.
    Code:
    ps aux | grep -i vnc
    ps aux | grep -i teamviewer
    Good luck!

Dear Gacanepa,

I know that proxy can be used to monitor internet activities. I meant a software installed in my Linux box to view my screen.

Thanks

Amitha
    Is this machine your own? Did you install Linux on it? Do you use your own network or is this a public/work network? Unless you installed Linux yourself you can never really be sure. A good system admin could create so many different ways to monitor you it isn't even funny and you probably wouldn't even be aware.
    If you did install Linux on your own machine things are a little bit different. You have to trust that someone, somewhere has viewed the source code to the distro you use and verified there is no "Spyware". I'm using Fedora, I feel pretty confident that there is no "Spyware" on my machine that came from Fedora itself.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

The reason the programs are in "sleep" mode is because you're not running them. Once you open and run a program then it will awake from sleep mode.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Is this machine your own? Did you install Linux on it? Do you use your own network or is this a public/work network? Unless you installed Linux yourself you can never really be sure. A good system admin could create so many different ways to monitor you it isn't even funny and you probably wouldn't even be aware.
    If you did install Linux on your own machine things are a little bit different. You have to trust that someone, somewhere has viewed the source code to the distro you use and verified there is no "Spyware". I'm using Fedora, I feel pretty confident that there is no "Spyware" on my machine that came from Fedora itself.
    Dear All,

Thanks for your comments and infomation. I Installed Centos myself. I want to know whether the administrator who knows my root password install some VNC like software.

Thanks

Dear All,

Thanks for your comments and infomation. I Installed Centos myself. I want to know whether the administrator who knows my root password install some VNC like software.

Thanks
    You'd have a lot of work to do. I assume you aren't very Linux proficient or you'd know where/what to look for. There is more than one way to install software and there is certainly a lot of VNC type of software. You could list all installed software, which will only show the RPMS and not software that was installed from source. You could look in all the different directories for something like VNC but that's a lot of looking. You might get lucky using the find, whereis and locate commands.
    If he is a half decent Admin, he'll know you have been looking around. So, I think your best bet would be, quiet frankly, to ask.
    If you have something to hide, always assume the worse and you'll have nothing to fear.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast