Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have always had a Windows operating system. In any case, I would like my laptop to have a Linux based OS. I know exactly how to protect my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Security minded

Hi. I have always had a Windows operating system. In any case, I would like my laptop to have a Linux based OS. I know exactly how to protect my Windows based PC, from A-Z. As for Linux, I need help for that part.

Which Linux based version would you guys recommend if I want an extremely secure Linux OS? Of course, one that would be wifi compatible very easily (I know that Matriux, for example, despite being awesome, is crap when it comes to wifi compatibility). This part for me is extremely important, as I cannot connect via Ethernet.

In the end, four most important things for me would be the following:

- Highly more secure than the average Linux
    - High WiFi compatibility (as I have no Ethernet)
    - Program manager (where it can download applications and install - like an antivirus or firewall for example).
    Not necessary, but appreciated as I rather have an automatic install manager than having to use the terminal.
    - Good hardware drivers package (video card mostly)

I hope I have put this thread in the right discussion area (there are waaaaaaaaay too many areas lol. If I haven't, I apologize).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    AFAIK, no one knows how to properly protect a Windows system... Linux is more secure by design, though it is NOT impregnable. Implementing SELinux will make it very difficult to pwn. As for WiFi, a lot of wifi vendors only provide proprietary drivers and firmware. See Welcome - Linux Wireless for a lot of help in this regard.

Program manager? Each distribution has its own. For example, Red Hat derivatives use yum or rpm, Suse uses yast and rpm. Debian versions (including ubuntu) use aptitude/apt-get. They will all serve your needs.

Hardware drivers? Most are built into the kernel, either directly, or a loadable modules when the system detects specific hardware. If you like nVidia video hardware, then you will be best served to install their proprietary Linux drivers. They are FAR superior to the open source nouveau drivers that come with the standard Linux kernel.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    One the point concerning Windows, I disagree lol. There are so many awesome programs to help you out, aside from antiviruses and firewalls, you have the basic programs like superantispyware, malwarebytes, followed by more advanced and lethal programs like keyscrambler, threatfire (amazing program if you know how to use and configure it properly) and Returnil (which can reverse ANY change upon reboot (so damn awesome!). If you know THE products to use on a Windows OS, you can SAFELY use Windows as much as Linux (imo). I learned my lesson a long time ago. Basic users won't know how to defend their PC's, but someone like myself with enough experience will know. Just as much as you would know about Linux for example, while I won't (which is normal lol).

Concerning Linux, thank you for your response. As for Ubuntu, I believe it also uses the .deb extensions as well. What would you think about slackware versions of Linux? Would they be considered just as versatile as Ubuntu and Fedora, for example? I am interested in looking at slackware distros, which seem highly interesting.

Or what about older versions? I mean unsupported. For example, I had downloaded Sabily some time ago, but the distro is now unsupported, so it prompted me to upgrade to Ubuntu Precise. Which I did, and it asked me if I wanted to keep the screensaver (perhaps it meant to wallpaper? As I saw no screensaver). Everything looked to have been the same. But, I couldn't run ZSNES on my laptop and my controller stopped being responsive for some reason (and my xbox controller which I bought exclusively for my PC as I do not have an xbox, did not work whatsoever even though the light was on). Thus, I deleted the partition and kept Windows XP on my laptop. I keep my laptop for two things: checking emails, and social sites and play old games on emus. I tried bsnes which was horrible. ZSNES just kept crashing, weird :/ I believe that it kept crashing because of the CPU usage, which on a laptop is far greater than on a PC, due to the nature of the operation (correct me if I'm wrong, by all means).
    Last edited by mades; 08-25-2013 at 04:32 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A lot of people like Mint. It is a Debian/Ubuntu derivative, but intended to be more "user friendly". One of the reasons why your xbox controller cruft stopped working with Ubuntu is that they don't install proprietary (non-open source) software or firmware unless you do so manually. I have found this to be a real PITA with things like Broadcom WiFi drivers as an example. My last Ubuntu installation was 9.04, which would run all of my wireless (including bluetooth) cruft out-of-the-box. After that, I had to do the manual installation thing... I was NOT a happy camper! And I have not used (or recommended) Ubuntu since...

As for Slackware, I cannot say from personal experience since I have never used it. However, people who's opinion I respect, swear by it. I have used (or still use) professionally the following Linux distributions (and some others too obscure to mention):
    1. Ubuntu
    2. Debian (use for embedded ARM systems)
    3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    4. CentOS (an RHEL clone)
    5. Scientific Linux (another RHEL clone - my main personal OS for workstation and laptop)
    6. Fedora
    7. Gentoo
    8. Suse
    9. Sabayon

The three that I use for daily work are all RHEL systems, including RHEL 6.2, CentOS 6.2, and Scientific Linux 6.4. I like them for their rock-solid stability and good documentation.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I don't if I could ever get used to Ubuntu's style anyway. I tried it out, but the fact that I use a laptop (instead of having it installed on my desktop), the zsnes kept crashing. So, I will try getting myself some tools online to figure out how to fix that problem. Aside from that, I found Ubuntu quite interesting in the way that the manager was pretty automatic (user friendly). But that's about it. Having a menu on the left side drove me crazy, as I kept hovering over the left side of Firefox and thus bringing it out

Thank you for sharing your top 9 list. I had previously overlooked Gentoo, but damn it looks nice. For me, as long as it looks nice, works nicely and I can play some basic emulators on it, I'll be a happy camper. I am trying to have a PC with Windows to run everything I want, and then potentially a laptop so that I can play emus, while surfing the net, checking emails and so forth. You know, the basics of computing lol. There are times where I will need a PC, but other times where I'll want to not have to worry about security and updates. I'm not yet at the point where I would use Linux on my desktop as well.

Did you ever try Epidemic? It looks very nice as a distro with proprietary drivers. Ah, and looking at LSF makes me want to build my own (but I don't know how :/ One day).

Concerning the drivers you manually install, do you have any documentation for that? If I could at least install my xbox controller, that would be nice (assuming I use Ubuntu or another distro that would require manual install).

I actually had a problem with my other controller as well. Strangely, I have a PS2 controller which I hooked up to my laptop (I used a converter), and it worked fine. After a while it just stopped working. Surely this controller would be a plug-and-play, no? So, how could it even stop working? That blew my mind.