Find the answer to your Linux question:
The company i am employed by have paid a developer over 150,000$ for a product to be created, however it is now created, and due to the way the company ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quick Serious Answer Required

The company i am employed by have paid a developer over 150,000$ for a product to be created, however it is now created, and due to the way the company has been treated all along (taken advantage of ) they wish to sever links, i have been brought in over the last year to manage all things IT however on linux im a newbie, having only had minor experiences with Suse back in 2001.

The question i require answered is can i plug a USB drive in and clone the entire server (small) so we have at least a copy of the product when the S^$T hits the fan as currently we dont even have access to the server as it is password protected, and the password will not be released to us, i might add the server is on the company land and also purchased by the company.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo1987 View Post
    The company i am employed by have paid a developer over 150,000$ for a product to be created, however it is now created, and due to the way the company has been treated all along (taken advantage of ) they wish to sever links, i have been brought in over the last year to manage all things IT however on linux im a newbie, having only had minor experiences with Suse back in 2001.

The question i require answered is can i plug a USB drive in and clone the entire server (small) so we have at least a copy of the product when the S^$T hits the fan as currently we dont even have access to the server as it is password protected, and the password will not be released to us, i might add the server is on the company land and also purchased by the company.
    Cloning the complete drive is possible, however the files that are owned by another user than your log-in account is not readable by you (you would need to have root access to perform a complete cloning).

Was the contract written where the developer owns every thing (usually not the case) or that the work would be owned and provided to the company? If the developer owns the system then cloning it would be considered thief. I would find out more information about the contract that was in place before you got involved.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    Cloning the complete drive is possible, however the files that are owned by another user than your log-in account is not readable by you (you would need to have root access to perform a complete cloning).

Was the contract written where the developer owns every thing (usually not the case) or that the work would be owned and provided to the company? If the developer owns the system then cloning it would be considered thief. I would find out more information about the contract that was in place before you got involved.
    Hi there, if needs be we can crack the root password i am led to believe, as in regards to the contract, not the person has been paid to build for our company and the material thus is ours but the legal battles here take up to 10 years, and the moment we sever the payment we know what is going to happen.

yes the contract is with company to said company i am an employee nothing more.

Just Joined!
    I have been led to believe, that if we install clonezilla on a portable harddrive and plug in this will clone on to the HDD, alternatively we can clone by harddrive by taking all apart, something that i would not like to play with if can be helped.

Linux Enthusiast
    Since, I can not determine for sure the legal status I can not help you. I would not post to the forum for public viewing even if I could determine the legal issues. You commented about putting "clonezilla" on a portable hard drive (how is it to run or is the server running Windows).