Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By docbop
I would like to set up an ssh connection (tunnel) in order for me to pierce the bamboo curtain - I live in China. My friend, in Sacramento has a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows ssh server, linux user

I would like to set up an ssh connection (tunnel) in order for me to pierce the bamboo curtain - I live in China. My friend, in Sacramento has a windows computer and is willing to leave it on 24/7 to act as the server. I am planning on using Linux on my home server to do the dirty work. I want to use this to surf the web and to download files for sites that are not accessible here without some kind of tool - either vpn or ssh. Can a windows/linux pair work for this? or do both sides have to have the same OS?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
    I would like to set up an ssh connection (tunnel) in order for me to pierce the bamboo curtain - I live in China. My friend, in Sacramento has a windows computer and is willing to leave it on 24/7 to act as the server. I am planning on using Linux on my home server to do the dirty work. I want to use this to surf the web and to download files for sites that are not accessible here without some kind of tool - either vpn or ssh. Can a windows/linux pair work for this? or do both sides have to have the same OS?
    I see no issues with this. It works as long as you have the proper configurations on the client/server side. I'm not 100% sure if SSH is limited to Windows Server OS only, I've only ever used it with Servers before. By use, I mean client to server.

putty.org (Can't Hotlink due to Post Count)

I use the above link for my Client. Though I'm fairly sure mose Linux Distros support SSH natively without 3rd Party Applications. Give a try and see what happens. Post your results of it

- Thomas

DreadStarX likes this.