Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello... Found a couple of reference to "John the Ripper", and was wondering if anyone can help me with my problem. The docs state that a version of it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anyone using "John the ripper"? Have a RAR file that has no known pass

Hello... Found a couple of reference to "John the Ripper", and was wondering if anyone can help me with my problem. The docs state that a version of it is "rar2john" for cracking an RAR archive, but I can't seem to find any kind of reference to that name searching through all the source, header and Makefiles that came with the setup. Seems to build OK, but no "rar2john" file name is created anywhere I can find.

Thanks...

Jack

It's a password cracker that is only on some pentest distros it's not your everyday user software. If you google it you'll find places to download it.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I have it and have it running, but the docs specify an executable referenced as "rar2john" specifically for RAR archives. I don't seem to be able to find any reference on the site or in the code. I have 'grep'd all of the files for that name or RAR (case indeterminate) but no luck. I was hoping that someone here has used it and could help me with this phase. I might end up looking for help via their site, which looks like it may be difficult.

Again, I have an archive with no password and it wasn't created on this machine (or any known machine), so I have to find a way to get it to check an RAR archive. The rar2john seems like the answer, but can't find anyway to create this executable.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jack