Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm trying to convert an old Pentium III I had lying around into a firewall and decided to use Devil Linux. I have a dual port adapter I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop assigned bad IP address through Devil Linux firewall

Hello all,

I'm trying to convert an old Pentium III I had lying around into a firewall and decided to use Devil Linux. I have a dual port adapter I'm using to connect to my router and my desktop on eth0 and eth1, respectively. I have a connection between the firewall and my router (which acts as a DHCP server) which correctly assigns the firewall an IP but my desktop keeps getting a 169.254.x.x address. I cleared my iptables rules to try to narrow down the problem and I believe it's because my desktop cannot connect to my router to be assigned an address.

I killed dhcpcd for both interfaces and re-ran it to try to get DHCP to reassign addresses and got the following output for eth0 (firewall to router):

Code:
    eth0: soliciting an IPv6 router
    eth0: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.6
    eth0: leased 192.168.1.6 for 86400 seconds
    eth0: adding host route to 192.168.1.6 via 127.0.0.1
    eth0: adding route to 192.168.1.0/24
    eth0: adding default route via 192.168.1.1
    and the following output for eth1 (firewall to desktop):

Code:
    eth1: soliciting an IPv6 router
    eth1: using IPv4LL address 169.254.63.33
    eth1: adding host route to 169.254.63.33 via 127.0.0.1
    eth1: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16
    How can I allow my desktop to reach my router to be assigned an address?
    Also, my guess at the problem may very well be incorrect, are there any other suggestions as to what the issue could be?

Thanks for your time,
    koan

Linux Engineer
    The address is what is called a link local address and, yes, it is being used because it isn't getting assigned an address. You have to enable routing on the firewall server. It should be in the firewalls documentation.