Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear pals, I am doing my masters in Computer Engg . I have no idea regarding the "What are the Virtualization Techniques for Security" regarding OPERATING SYSTEM . Please advise ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down Virtualization Techniques for Security

Dear pals,
    I am doing my masters in Computer Engg . I have no idea regarding the "What are the Virtualization Techniques for Security" regarding OPERATING SYSTEM . Please advise me
    with the points

Thanks,
    Anes

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Virtualization is a concept. Different Product companies have implemented the virtualization concept and released their products like, VMWare, Citrix, Microsoft, Novell.
    As per your interest, it seems that you want to learn VMWare Datacenter virtualizatio, or Desktop virtualization(VMView) or Application virtualization.
    Coming to security, they have vShield manager.
    VMWare provides enormous online documentation on vShield manager.

Just Joined!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vishnu_104 View Post
    Hi,
    Virtualization is a concept. Different Product companies have implemented the virtualization concept and released their products like, VMWare, Citrix, Microsoft, Novell.
    As per your interest, it seems that you want to learn VMWare Datacenter virtualizatio, or Desktop virtualization(VMView) or Application virtualization.
    Coming to security, they have vShield manager.
    VMWare provides enormous online documentation on vShield manager.
    Dear Vishnu,
    Thanks for your Wise Reply . I am happy with your gr8 answer

thanks alot

Anes

Just Joined!

Also look at the use of virtualization within an OS

Quote Originally Posted by admod View Post
    Dear pals,
    I am doing my masters in Computer Engg . I have no idea regarding the "What are the Virtualization Techniques for Security" regarding OPERATING SYSTEM . Please advise me
    with the points
    Tools like VMWare permit multiple operating systems to be run on a single physical system, ensuring (more or less) security isolation between those guest operating systems. It is more or less like running multiple physical computers with a single OS on each. Each Virtual computer has it's own OS. A mixture of Windows, Linux, BSD etc on a single physical computer is possible. On the positive side, this is much cheaper and easier to organise than multiple physical computers. On the negative side, every one of those systems has to be updated, secured etc individually. Furthermore, the security differences between virtualization in this way and physical separation are quite small.

If you are doing a masters, you really should look at the work that Sun did with Solaris and containers. You can look up an intro on wikipedia. Basically it uses virtualization within an operating system to separate groups of processes and their allocated resources. There is only one version of the OS but the groups of processes running on it cannot attack others in a different group. It thus implements separation of processes without the overhead of multiple kernels, multiple security patches etc. etc. I am far from an expert in this, but you really should study that or your tutor might well trip you up on it.

Please note that I am not necessarily advocating the use of this in favour of VMWare or other virtualization tools; it all depends on the needs of the application.

Best of luck in your studies...