Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Roxoff
  • 1 Post By Steven_G
A family member who has not of yet wised up to the benefits of running a Linux distro and still using Windows 7 is unable to run any of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rescue CD

A family member who has not of yet wised up to the benefits of running a Linux distro and still using Windows 7 is unable to run any of the installed security programs on their machine and i was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a Linux rescue disk please.

I found this article which probably contains all you need.

There are some more solutions that might be valuable here.
    Rubberman and docbop like this.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I found this article which probably contains all you need.

There are some more solutions that might be valuable here.
    Indeed! I use my Linux workstation to fix Windows systems for my clients (in my capacity as a part-time IT consultant). I use it to scan for viruses and malware on their systems, and to clean them as well. It has worked very well. Once a Windows systems has been infected, just booting it can exacerbate the problem. I remove the drive(s) from their systems, install the drives in a docking bay, plug it into my Linux system (unmounted) and then scan the drive and file systems for infections. Normally, I use 3 different A/V tools - one open source (ClamAV), and two commercial/professional ones. Each will find stuff that the others miss. Between them all, I have never failed to restore a system to full functionality. It still requires the human mind to separate the wheat from the chaff, and that's what my clients (attorneys and business owners mostly) pay me for - $200 USD / hour... That includes a DVD with all of their cleaned data files as a backup. Trust me, attorneys do NOT like to lose client data!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Other free / *nix based stuff that comes in handy to work on doze that's not listed in the article:

AVG rescue

bitdefender rescue

DrWeb

Hirens Boot CD

UBCD

F-Secure rescue CD

Ubuntu MRT

C.A.I.N.E.

BackBox
    (Change the "1" Euro to a "0" and click "Donate" = free copy)

I also use all 4 listed in the above linked article. Having so many CDs in my toolbox there is a lot of overlap between tools and capabilities. But there's also a lot of difference between them all as well. With these 13 CD's in my toolbox I have never once failed to at least be able to recover and clean the data so the system can be reformatted. That is, if I can't fix it. And I've only run in to a handfull of systems that I couldn't actually fully repair using this toolkit.
    Rubberman likes this.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    @Steven_G
    All good suggestions.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Since I did all that scrounging I figured I'd go ahead, follow my own advice and update my tool box.

Two of the links in the article are old and wrong. The following makes the entire list current as of 3/25/14.

Avira

KAV
    Last edited by Steven_G; 03-26-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Just Joined!
    This is definitely great, thanks for the information and thread.