Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there any email better then POP3 because i have heard that POP3 emails are really easy to heck....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

POP3 E-MAIL

Is there any email better then POP3 because i have heard that POP3 emails are really easy to heck.
    Windows is the problem, Linux is the solution!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by new2linux4now
    Is there any email better then POP3 because i have heard that POP3 emails are really easy to hack.
    That may sound ruff, but do you know what your talking about?

Pop3 uses standard port 110...
    What hack are you talking of?
    The only thing I could see as hacking, would be packet sniffer that gets the user Name pass from it to be able to get into your email account... Other then that, .... I dont see it...

Please also be aware, that most hacking, virus, and other things like that are HOAX under linux...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    pop3 is the protocol, the standard, not the software. What mail server are you running right now?

POP 3 protocol is the mail receiving protocol. This downloads your messages off of the server to your box. This is pretty safe. The other protocol is IMAP. this downloads a copy of your mail to your computer but leaves the origional on the server. That is your 2 choices for receiving mail.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    the only reason i asked because some of my buddies say that there are alot of programs that are used to easily heck pop3 emails. inculding gmail,yahoo mail, and some others.

Linux Engineer
    the only reason i asked because some of my buddies say that there are alot of programs that are used to easily heck pop3 emails. inculding gmail,yahoo mail, and some others.
    I dont think that you can even get those Email throu Pop3 to your pc.. I know you cannot with Homtail anyway

As for "easily hack pop3 emails" I'dd love to see this...
    If you use your web browser to see those email, dont even wory about it, this uses standard Http protocol and only "internaly" will it contac the email directory probably even without getting throu any POP servicing...

In english : Dont worry... It's not gonna happend
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    I dont think that you can even get those Email throu Pop3 to your pc.. I know you cannot with Homtail anyway

As for "easily hack pop3 emails" I'dd love to see this...
    If you use your web browser to see those email, dont even wory about it, this uses standard Http protocol and only "internaly" will it contac the email directory probably even without getting throu any POP servicing...
    this is how the program or what ever it is works. POP3 only takes in simple text and the program tries diffrent passwords for the username that you put in. Since the pop3 does not require you to insert what letters you see in the picture like you have to enter if you try it using the web browser this works out.

Linux Engineer
    Yes that would be for any unsecure POP3 email host... after 3 consecutive attempt, the account or IP is blocked temporary..

Seriously... dont listen to all those nerd friends you have... They probly know less then you... You cannot simply Hack a POP3 server like yahoo / gmail... common!!

Linux Newbie
    If you are using Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, or other big e-mail provider then UgoDeschamps is right, It's not easy to heck a POP3 server.

Seriously... dont listen to all those nerd friends you have... They probly know less then you...
    Double that from me too

Linux Newbie
    all right,
    thanks for all the help guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast