Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've just started playing with GnuPG and came across a reference that said certain 'levels' of encryption are illegal in some countries. i've tried Googling for the UK laws surrounding ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Legality of Encryption...

i've just started playing with GnuPG and came across a reference that said certain 'levels' of encryption are illegal in some countries. i've tried Googling for the UK laws surrounding this but the best i can get are some news articles, several years old now just discussing the matter. Anyone know how the law stands in the UK? Or could point me in the direction of somewhere that holds the official stance?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

ok, I'm the satiric anti democratic mindset atm :P

Without really knowing I think this is the case:
    iirc the Land of the American Dream (tm)(r)(OrSomething) got restrictions on the encryption algorithms, ie if you send an email with sources for an encryption scheme stronger than X bits you might get an "offer you cant resist" from the feds/cia/nsa or one of the other lesser know security agencies.
    I don't think other contries got these kinds of restrictions, but I guess all this Terrorism and CTL's (Counter Terrorist Laws, hmm... wonder if it's worth making a CS spook, CL (Counter Law) :P ) might have made more countries all of a sudden realize that encryption isn't something their own security agencies have monopoly on.

It might be that only some contries are infected with this code-ban/code-freze (eg "the axes of terrorism", "non democratic thingies with non democratic religion"[irony,sarcasm and a pinch of exaduration, see page 42 in "the Satirists Coobok, 3rd edition"]), so eg, I could imagine "allies" maybe have the code, foe's not...
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.