Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello,To all Can someone here help me please after having a hard time trying to get G/D installed i think i did it but i have no idea how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting guarddog

Hello,To all

Can someone here help me please after having
    a hard time trying to get G/D installed i think i
    did it but i have no idea how to run it

at the guarddog site they say to look in
    KDE menu but i don's see it there anyware

i'm using Suse 9.0 Pro

Thank you

Linux Newbie
    Well, if you installed it just type guarddog in the command line. If you can't see the icon in the menu you probably didn't install it. So get the tar.gz, unpack it to a folder like guarddog-2.2.1, cd to that folder, type ./configure and after that make and make install.

If you installed a Guard Dog .rpm look under Green Suse button -> System and Guard dog should be there.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I am new to Linux. I love this forum, BTW. I took the advice of others and installed Guarddog on my Mandrake box. I use the guarddog-2.4.0.tar.gz file and did just as the Install.txt file suggested...

cd to the directory containing source code and run "./configure"
    once completed, run "make"
    once completed, run "make install"
    as option, run "make clean" to remove binaries and object files.

then is says I can find the Guarddog program under the
    KDE config/network menu but i don's see it. So i try running the command guarddog and it returns error: "command not found"

Did I do something wrong. I had to install the program as ROOT, because my user didnt have permissions to perform the "make install" routine.

I also chose to install via the TAR file, because it seemed easier. Should I attempt to install it via the RPM. I downloaded both SRC and MDK RPM files from the Guarddog site. I just dont know what to do with those.

If someone could offer advice on why the install from the TAR isnt working, how to install(if needed) from the RPM's, and why my user doesnt have permissions to install programs?

thanks

Mark

Firstly in the termonal try
    Code:
    su
    and enter your root password so that you have root controle over the terminal, and then try
    Code:
    guarddog

If that doesnt work try using urpmi to install it:
    Code:
    urpmi guarddog
    dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Update from my prev post. When I run "make install" I looked at the results from the terminal window...

Any time it attempts to "Entering Directory..." I get the result or error, if you will...

"Nothing to be done for install-exec-am"
    "Nothing to be done for install-data-am"

and then I get "Leaving Directory..."

I get the above directory several times through out the "make install" function.

hope this helps

Just Joined!
    I tried just as you suggested and when I open up Terminal window and perform the "SU" command... I enter the root password and perform "guarddog" and get " bash: guarddog: command not found"

I then did some research and got info on urpmi...neat tool...once I figured it out. I downloaded the RPM from www.simonzone.com (guarddog-2.2.0-1rh9.src.rpm and guarddog-2.4.0-1mdk.i586.rpm). I logged to Root and from terminal CD to directory where RPM were stored...

when i executed the command "urpmi guarddog". I get returned "no package named guarddog"

I though okay, I need to install the packages. When I try to install the RPM package and execute "urpmi guarddog-2.2.0-1rh9.src.rpm". I get the following returned..."Some package requested cannot be installed: guarddog-2.2.0-1rh9.src (due to unsatisfied qt-devel[>= 3.1]) (Y/n)"

When I try to install the guarddog-2.4.0-1mdk.i586.rpm package using URPMI, I get... "Some package requested cannot be installed: guarddog-2.4.0-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libstdc++.so.6) (Y/n)"

wether I answer Y or n, I get put back to#

here is something to think about. I downloaded the RMP for Firestarter and used URPMI and installed the package. It installed just fine. When I run command firestarter, the program starts up.

Any ideas now????

You can addsome sources for MDK, and without downloading it will get guarddog and its dependancies etc, follow the following advice I got from here
    Installing software on Mandrake with urpm
    urpm is a nifty was to install software on any 7.x or greater Mandrake system. Some of the advantages of Mandrake's urpm utilities are:

* It automatically solves package dependencies issues by installing or uninstalling dependent packages.

* It installs packages and dependencies directly from the internet.
    * It allows globbing of package names
    * It will automatically update your system.
    * It will install all those "not allowed to distribute" programs that you really want to have (DVD support, MP3 enoders, etc...)

How do I install urpm?
    urpm should be installed by default on any modern Mandrake distobution. If it's not, you can install it using the Mandrake Control Center (MCC).
    urpm Commands
    urpmi

The most commonly used command is urpmi. This command allows you to install packages from your configured sources (see below). urpmi will try to install all package dependencies. It will also take partitial names and give you a list of available packages. For exmaple, if you wanted to install one of the kdemoreartwork styles, but didn't know the exact name, you simple type
    Code:
    [root@cayanne ~/]#urpmi kdemoreartwork
    and it should return a list of packages not already installed on your system. This also means it will install the most up to date package for your system, you don't have to know which version you're looking for. As an exmaple, you may wish to add DVD Play back support to your computer. This can be done by installing any video player, such as Xine or MPlayer, along with the package libdvdcss. Rather then having to type in urpmi libdvdcss-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm, you can simply type in

Code:
    [root@cayanne ~/]#urpmi libdvdcss

urpme
    The urpme command deletes, or erases, currently installed packages and all packages depandant on that it.

urpmq
    The urpmq command searches for, or queries, for packages that you list.

urpmf
    The urpmf command does an advanced search for a filename in all known packages. For example if we are trying to compile a program and the configure script is complaining about not finding ncurses.h, we can do a urpmf ncurses.h to find that it is part of the libncurses5-develpackage.

Code:
    [root@cayanne ~/]#urpmf ncurses.h
    libncurses5-devel:/usr/include/ncurses.h
    libncurses5-devel:/usr/include/ncurses/ncurses.h
    php-devel:/usr/src/php-devel/extensions/ncurses/php_ncurses.h

urpmi.addmedia
    urpmi.addmedia does exactly that, makes an rpm reposatory available for urpm to utalize. Typically, you have your installation cd's available as a default media, these are called main. In addition, you also have three other media - updates,contrib and PLF. Updates is the updates, and contrib is user contributed rpm's and PLF is all those not available for distribution for so-called legel reasons rpm's. The sysntax for urpmi.addmedia is

urpmi.addmedia [media-name] [ftp-address with] ../base/hdlist.cz
    Note that the hdlist.cz is required. For example, to add medium 'contrib', we use the following command

Code:
    [root@cayanne ~/]#urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/updates/8.2/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
    added medium contrib
    retrieving description file of "contrib"...
    ...retrieving done
    retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "contrib"...
    ...retrieving done
    examining whole urpmi database

urpmi.removemedia
    This command removes specified media. Need I say more?

urpmi.update
    The urpmi.update command goes through all of your media sources and updates your installed packages if necessary.

How do I set up urpm?
    urpm can be set up using MCC, but I've personally found the instructions at the web-site http://easyurpmi.zarb.org to be a little easier. Either way, you can use the site along with MCC or the console to add media. Simple follow the step-by-step instructions, and enter the command it prints out in the grey box into any terminal window, as root of course. You can even copy and paste the command, there's no need to type it all in.

Now that you're up and running with urpmi, try to install a few packages! Have fun!

Where can I get more info?
    Here's couple of places to get more info (these are the places where I got my references):

Mandrake FAQ
    Mini How-To
    then all you have to do is
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    urpmi guarddog
    dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    alright, i will see if i can muddle my way through this.

thanks