Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on antivirus software. I"m looking for something that's powerful but easy to work with (obviously). I've had horrible luck using dazuko -- ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Antivirus Software

I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on antivirus software. I"m looking for something that's powerful but easy to work with (obviously). I've had horrible luck using dazuko -- is there any non-dazuko based antivir software out there, or should I just keep trudging through with dazuko until I can finally get it to work? I'm running kernel 2.10.* with FC3 on an i386. Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    You should check out ClamAV

Just Joined!
    Looks promising -- I think I'll probably be using this instead of AntiVir from now on -- thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'd have to go with Kaspersky Antivirus (www.avp.ch) I've used it on Windows for years, and we also use it on all of our Linux desktops / servers as well..

As for ClamAV it's a neat little app, but it's not a true antivirus..

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by SubTexel
    How so?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by valan
    Quote Originally Posted by SubTexel
    How so?
    I'm curious to on this! Because a Anti-Virus software is a software that recognizes a virus, and eliminates it's functionality by either removing it or disabling it. So please be a bit more specific on this.

http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html
    ClamAV is used in a lot of applications. It recognizes virusses etc but does noet eliminate them. The list on the page gives a list of all software using clamav (or capable of using clamav).

I do not scan for virusses on my desktop, but I have mailscanning using clamav activated. Virusses etc. are not a problem on Linux desktops. Most of them are for the Wintel platform. But that will change I'm afraid.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Enthusiast
    It's true it cant clean a file from virus, however, it has builtin removal of infected file if you wish to. So it is still a true Anti-Virus in that sense.