Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I just installed Linux for the first time ever yesterday I want to find a firewall,antivirus, and something that will also help me to monitor or remove bots, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Security Basics and help for the NEW person

Hi all I just installed Linux for the first time ever yesterday I want to find a firewall,antivirus, and something that will also help me to monitor or remove bots, spyware stuff of that nature. Aagain Im new so alot of this means nothing or very little. My distro is Mandrake 9.1

Linux Guru
    I don't think that there is any free Antivirus software for Linux - the only thing you could get is probably industrial stuff. On the other hand, you're very unlikely to need it. After all 99% of all viruses are written for Winbloze, and as far as I know, there simply isn't any spyware or the like for Linux.
    The problem can be worms for popular servers, but just keep you software up-to-date and you won't need to worry too much about that.
    If you want a firewall, I'm sure there comes some program with Mdk that can help you set up a simple one. I don't use those programs, so I wouldn't know. If you want to set up a real firewall instead, check the HOWTOs at netfilter.org instead. They are the guys that made the IP filtering software for Linux, so they should know. I don't really know why you'd want a firewall for a home system, though.

Linux Newbie
    There is OpenAntivirus but I wouldnt hold to much faith in it as the latest virus definition file on their site is from last year October.

There are commercial products available, my Father uses McAfee and its works great on his linux server. But I wouldnt worry about virii on linux, the day M$ ports outlook over to linux is the day I start worring.

Netfilter/IPTables is quite easy to understand, their site has good howto's. If you look around you can find plenty of good examples that you can edit to your own needs. There are easy to use gui's that could make it easier (like bitfrost).

I wouldnt worry about spyware/malware on linux. I have never experienced any. I dont know if there is an equivalant of ad-aware on linux but IE is not on linux so I wouldnt worry about crap just installing itself on your system.

Linux Engineer
    If you look throw your system and make sure that unessasary ports and services are disabled and that you have configured you current running services currectly there should be no worry to hock your system on the internet.

If you want antivirus-systems anyway i think kaspersky have something for linux, iptables workes great as ipfirewall which for certain already are installed on your system, you just have to configure it and start the services.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    Clam Antivirus is free and they actually update their virus defs. Also NAI has a scanner for unix which is $30.

Linux Newbie
    Mandrake comes with Shoreline Firewall, which is iptables-based and can be installed during the installation of the actual system.

Linux Guru
    have a look Here for a good introduction to keeping your linux machine secure.

Jason

Linux Newbie
    Shorewall firewall rocks..It's iptables made easy. Very robust, great list support, great response times....free, awesome web site for noobians like myself...they're always quick to fix anything thats bugged as well. Hands down, you can't beat this firewall....."Just set it and forget it"

Can't beat it.
    JB