Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by ventricle Besides, windows is much more insecure ( normal users can delete system files etc ). On XP, this is true only if the user is part ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ventricle
    Besides, windows is much more insecure ( normal users can delete system files etc ).
    On XP, this is true only if the user is part of the admin group. If the user account is setup appropriately you can limit what files the normal user account can view/edit/delete. Just ask some blokes at work here, who can't do anything because of permissions!
    The major difference I have seen is that there is always a note during a linux install to create a user for normal use and not use the root user because of such problems. I'm sure when I installed XP I didn't get prompted to create a user and don't add it to the admin group.
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Haven't used Xp so..

Just Joined!
    I've got it at home on my laptop and this desktop machine (laptop has redhat also) and this machine is gentoo. I never boot it though.
    However, we have to use it at work since it is company standard, and there are always problems with permissions, especially with developers because you can't write anywhere other than your local directory (in this case: c:\Documents And Settings\Username)
    I really find Gentoo a whole lot nicer and simpler to use.

Just Joined!
    This is interesting, to the original topic.

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...linuxworm.html

flw
    Linux Engineer
    As a follow on from the previous post from the same url faq section:

Can my Unix computer become infected with a virus?

Few viruses are currently known for Unix. However, virus checking is necessary:

Unix machines acting as servers for non-Unix client workstations can become carriers for non-Unix viruses, e.g. macro viruses.

Unix machines are often used as mail servers and can check email for worms and infected attachments before they reach the desktop.

If your Unix machine is running a PC emulator, a 'soft PC', applications running under that emulator are vulnerable to viruses, particularly macro viruses.
    By emulator their talking about app like the variation of "wine". i.e xwine etc...

So if you want to run MS office on your linux box or Windows games via the emulator apps, Then yes you are very vulnerable.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

But wouldnt the virus just screw with wine. It wasnt made for linux so it wont be able to affect any files cause it would try C:\ not /usr ect..

flw
    Linux Engineer
    In the case of "wine" linux app, only that linux app would be screwed along with any windoze apps used on that machine through wine.

So if even if someone doesn't use any server apps but uses one of the variations of wine and some windoze apps, it would be worth looking into depending on the regular amount of time using wine and those apps.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Viruses usually affect files. Wine will store the files on your hard disk, it doesn't matter if they are under /usr or c:\.
    If a file is infected (such as a .exe file), then as long as it is on your pc, you will hold and probably transmit the virus.
    When you run the emulator, it is still doing things to your disk, reading and writing files, so you can have the same problems as windows.
    Remember, wine is an emulator and just sits between the operating system and the applications. So if the file is being allowed to run, it can do anything it wants.
    I really don't think there is a need to run wine.
    Use openoffice.
    If you want to play games, boot into windows, but don't connect to the internet

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I really don't think there is a need to run wine
    That one reason why many people run dual boot systems. I do.
    Dan

Actulla, wine is not a emulator. If it was an emulator, you would need a copy of windows to run windows

Read this if you're feeling kinda confused: http://winehq.com/Docs/wine-user/what-is-wine.shtml

flw
    Linux Engineer
    From url above: Wine makes it possible to run native Windows applications alongside native Linux applications on any Unix-like system.
    They word it slightly different but its still a emulator. If it looks like a duck, and qacks like a duck, it a duck.

It just like "cygwin" for running linux apps on a windoze box. Cygwin requires windows to work and not linux. Wine requires linux but not windows to run.
    Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast