Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi to all.. i am confused with one thing.. pls try to help me out.. i have secured my server by implementing the firewall.. i block some ports and open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How To Hide Open Ports??

hi to all..

i am confused with one thing..
    pls try to help me out..

i have secured my server by implementing the firewall..
    i block some ports and open some ports..

the ports which i open is basically of common use like ftp, ssh, http mysql etc.

now my question is..
    if i am opening these ports then anyone having my ipaddress can have a look on open ports with nmap command..
    and if any one is having the idea of open ports then he can try to enter from that open port and can easily enter..

so give me the solution of hiding the ports which i opened.... so that no body can see how many ports i opened??

Reply Me Soon..
    Regards
    KeenLearner

Linux User

Re: How To Hide Open Ports??

Quote Originally Posted by keenlearner
    hi to all..
    hi

i am confused with one thing..
    pls try to help me out..

i have secured my server by implementing the firewall..
    i block some ports and open some ports..
    hmm... how did you do it? during installation? "medium, high, no firewall" thinggie??

the ports which i open is basically of common use like ftp, ssh, http mysql etc.
    looks like what i'm guessing is right, if you're using redhat family's distro :P

now my question is..
    if i am opening these ports then anyone having my ipaddress can have a look on open ports with nmap command..
    of course!!!!!!

and if any one is having the idea of open ports then he can try to enter from that open port and can easily enter..
    here comes the funny part. Anyone can easily enter your opened port 80 and browse what you're providing to the public (forum, your personal page, your pets' picture, your ....)
    easily enter in the sense he/she is able to rm -rf / on your box? yeah, that's called gaining unauthorised access into your system a.k.a. hacking. Close unnecessary port by unloading the unnecessary services. If you really need to have http / ftp running, patch your system as soon as your vendor releases the updated package.

so give me the solution of hiding the ports which i opened.... so that no body can see how many ports i opened??
    depends on the situation. in a LAN environment, you want to prevent the public from visiting your box thru port 80 or 21 or something else, use firewall. A public accessible server? afaik, no way.....