Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Don't use Fedora, it's not a server, security oriented distro Try Trustix instead, comes with far more secure defaults and a much better security philosophy...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Don't use Fedora, it's not a server, security oriented distro

Try Trustix instead, comes with far more secure defaults and a much better security philosophy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    They might have installed a rootkit, just an FYI, so that might be what foiled your efforts. As to what to reinstall, I'd suggest Slackware, which is a very stable/secure distro right out of the box. If you're willing to spend some time working on locking things down, I'd also suggest Gentoo, which is what my server runs (FTP, Rsync, SSH and not a break-in yet! [Note: That's not an invitation to try ] ) but it can be a pain for some users new to Gentoo to configure.
    There is no such thing as a secure os.
    People. If you don't know how to setup your boxes securely, maybe you shouldn't be running linux. get down and gritty with the man pages and read stuff like the sshd.conf manpage and not allow people to ssh in using the root account. I see this wide open in all distros. Please, if you are going to run linux, get down and start reading what you have to do to get it secure.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelM
    Don't use Fedora, it's not a server, security oriented distro

Try Trustix instead, comes with far more secure defaults and a much better security philosophy
    And Fedora is more secure than any other distro, because it uses the SeLinux thing. But then again. It is still new. There are a couple things wrong with SeLinux. That is why there is always updates to the SeLinux scripts. But that is to protect you more.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When it comes to security there is nothing inherently wrong with FC. And yes the SELinux push is nice. What matters is the steps you take to harden it after you install it.

If you need a more secure install out of the box then use OpenBSD.

Just Joined!
    And Fedora is more secure than any other distro, because it uses the SeLinux thing
    As does CentOS 4 and Suse 9.2 (maybe not by default, but it can be added), and 9.3 I'm sure. I don't think SElinux is in 3 (though it may be), but it's in 4.

A number of OS types use SElinux. That's not the end all and be all of security, though it's a good thing.

Keep in mind if this is a home pc, SElinux may end up screwing things up as well

Just Joined!
    I use Fedora 4 and have SElinux enabled, plus Firestarter installed.
    I get several intrusion attempts every 30 to 60 seconds. In an 8 to 12 hour period, it adds up into 240. Glad I do not deal with a server, I will stick with my Home system for now.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2