Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Heh.. Let him do it. He'll be back inside of a week asking how to fix his box after it's owned!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Heh.. Let him do it. He'll be back inside of a week asking how to fix his box after it's owned!
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    That really f'd up my computer. how do i fix it?

just kidding!
    Im back and not owned

Did you do anything to your permissions??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    ya, though i still dont have full permissions for mounted drives under the vfat filesystem

You probably just need to change a line in your /etc/fstab for that; if there is a ro in the line for your vfat drive, change it to rw.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Changing Permissions

I typed in the code: chmod -R 777 and it went through the directory and attempted to change the permissions but it still needs the password. I am a student and just started learning fedora4. I intalled this on one of my laptops just for me to practice so if I screw it up no big deal; now that said, typing in the code changed nothing that I have noticed. What's up with that? The reason for me wanting to change the premissions is because I am trying to add a file to the profile.d directory so that I can set my aliases on login.

Linux Guru

Re: Changing Permissions

Quote Originally Posted by barron
    I typed in the code: chmod -R 777 and it went through the directory and attempted to change the permissions but it still needs the password. I am a student and just started learning fedora4. I intalled this on one of my laptops just for me to practice so if I screw it up no big deal; now that said, typing in the code changed nothing that I have noticed. What's up with that? The reason for me wanting to change the premissions is because I am trying to add a file to the profile.d directory so that I can set my aliases on login.
    Well you need to set these permissions with root access. But it's a bad idea and not the right way to do it. If you want to add a file to that directory just add that particular file with root access, and change its permissions accordingly. There should be no need to change permissions on anything else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2