Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey. Thoght this might be interesting. Although I didn't proceed with the actual install (obviously) I had this prompt when googling some cars I saw on holiday. Interesting. Looks like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Spyware on Linux/Firefox?

Hey. Thoght this might be interesting. Although I didn't proceed with the actual install (obviously) I had this prompt when googling some cars I saw on holiday. Interesting. Looks like a java app install, very similar looking to several web apps I work with daily. It appears to be installing one of those adware bullcrap bars into firefox. It also tries to ape the WinXP SP2 security centre warnings. Hmmmm.

Really only posting to pass the knowledge on, but any comments welcome.

Screenshot

Dialog

Making FireFox extentions is pretty easy if you have the javascript, and making a malitios one would be as easy I'd have thought. But it still takes the user to click that it's ok to install, and then the extention only has access to the users files, or files that the user has access to.

I don't have the knowlage to know if you could make something like keylogging software or spyware via an extention to firefox. Though one of the cornerstones of FireFox is security, I'm sure this kind of thing has been thought out, so that malictos software can't gain access to one's computer via a javascript extention to firefox.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2