Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've just set up an ADSL account with Pipex using a wired router/modem. I had a few problems getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ADSL connection - browser problem

Hello all,

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've just set up an ADSL account with Pipex using a wired router/modem. I had a few problems getting started, but ran dhcpcd -n eth0 and then realised I was connected to the net! I configured my modem using its built in web server and got its firewall running. I also have my Mandriva firewall going, and it's set up to accept the usual web protocols (but not ftp or ssh).

Now the problem: I can only browse using Konqueror. My distro is Mandriva LE 2005. When I try to access this forum with Firefox I get a 'connection refused' message (the same with Mozilla). When using Konqueror it says 'You are about to send this unencrypted'. Naked on the Net!

It might help to know that I hardened my system using Bastille (which is a Perl based security programme). Since then a few things have changed on my system, so that might be a factor?

All ideas gratefully received

EDIT: It has nothing to do with cookies as Firefox is configured to accept these... I'll check my Firewall settings again.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Bumping this thread!

Had even more problems over the weekend - very tiring.

Tried to figure out my browser problems (see above) by disabling firewalls and connecting to the web very briefly. Bad idea! Now I can't connect to the Internet from home at all. Konqueror was using port 80 to connect on... now it just sits and glares at me

Using a D-Link router/ADSL modem with an IP of 192.168.1.1. This uses the pppoA protocol to access the web using GPL firmware. I can bring up my ethernet card using the DHCPcd protocol, and when I use ifconfig the NIC has an IP of 192.168.1.3. Typing 'route' reveals 192.168.0.0 (from memory). I can ping my router successfully when it's up.

I can't bring my modem's firewall back up again (it has its own web server and you log on from within a browser). When I try to save its firewall settings it defaults back to no firewall. Tried switching it on and off and re-setting ... No joy.

This is a nightmare! I can get a local ethernet going (just one desktop box and a router, nothing else) but no Internet.

All ideas, comments and requests to RTFM considered It might be a problem with Mandriva, but I think of it as a security issue.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Hi all - time for an update ... Problem solved (well, mostly). I failed to realise that my ISP wanted me to configure my router with a 'mode' of GDMT. This seems to mean the modulation protocol used by my router.

Ironically the other part of the problem was using Konqueror to access my router's settings - It seems unable to render the router's set up pages properly. Perhaps a problem with javascript.

Well, I can use Konqueror to access the web ... Firefox is still a problem, but working on it.

Guess what - I read my router's manual ... This helped a lot.
    My firewalls are working as well - Secure at last?

Been there too, I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. Things like this will drive you over the edge!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie

query

not that i know much.
    am still a newbie.
    but curious to know what the mtu value is.
    regards
    tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Re: query

Quote Originally Posted by drtvasudevan
    not that i know much.
    am still a newbie.
    but curious to know what the mtu value is.
    regards
    tv
    Actually, I have no idea what an mtu value is. If you tell me more I'll find out for you

I've been on a crash course about networks, and in four days have learned a *lot* of stuff. There is a lot I don't know, but I'm quite good at problem solving...

I still have Firefox access problems and believe this is to do with DNS issues from my ISP. I've learned that I might be able to resolve this by finding some new DNS addresses and adding them to my router.

Linux Newbie
    Actually, I have no idea what an mtu value is. If you tell me more I'll find out for you Smile
    maximum transfer units

I
    still have Firefox access problems and believe this is to do with DNS issues from my ISP. I've learned that I might be able to resolve this by finding some new DNS addresses and adding them to my router.
    the reason i asked was i found out when mandrake would not connect to some sites that the protocol (pppoe in my case) takes up some units to function and so only if the mtu value is less than 1500 one can connect without problems.

changing the value to 1492 worked for me.
    the mtu value is obtained if you type ifconfig in terminal and hit return key.

i too have problems (no end in sight, sigh ) with other distroes.
    share your findings.

regards
    tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Thanks for the information drtvasudevan ... This is very mysterious because in my case, if I try to access the web using Konqueror, everything is fine (my connection uses pppoA which my router handles for me).

If I try to use Mozilla or Firefox I can't access the web, BUT ... If I type an IP address directly into Firefox I can access websites. I get the IP addresses by pinging my favourite websites.

I've read that this could be a problem with my ISPs' DNS servers, but if so, how can I access sites using Konqueror?

In the meantime, read this.

Hi all - Thanks to some good online information I resolved my access problems with Firefox. All I did was:

Turn off the IPv6:
    type about:config in the Navbar/address bar and hit Enter then look for
    network.dns.disableIPv6 - right-click and toggle to true
    Restart Firefox

Sorted!

Glad you got that sorted out, who gave you the idea to do that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast