Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am thinking of moving to Linux and Red Hat seems to be the obvious choice however they seemed to have supporting it and I have a choice to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat Queries

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Linux and Red Hat seems to be the obvious choice however they seemed to have supporting it and I have a choice to pay for it (Is it Red Hat or has it become RedDows) or download Fedora. Now a few questions.

1) If I install and run Red Hat 9, can I still get updates as easily?
    2) What are my choices as I am a Windows expert but a Linux noob as far as setting up a server? What should I consider? Is there a guide I can follow for word-for-word on setting up secure linux servers?
    3) Should I install KDE since I'm short of time as the company I work for wish to move ASAP? What are the risks?
    4) How can I harden the servers apart from using Bastille?

I guess I could go on asking multitude questions but you get my drift. I'm a complete newbie to Linux and need as much help I can get on setting up secure web and mail servers?

Linux Engineer
    On http://www.tldp.org you hva many useful howtos. But you can do a bunch of things to make mail and webservers more secure then win-server.

1:Close a unessasary services
    2:Remove all unessasary packages
    3:Create chroot-environments for you webb-services
    4:Use iptables for filtering connections and ports.
    5:Use a security software to strengthen security like:Pax,Grsecurity or something.
    Regards

Andutt