Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to filter packets based on application name in C language e.g to block msn messenger i want to filter it by application name so if any body know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to get application name

i want to filter packets based on application name in C language e.g to block msn messenger i want to filter it by application name so if any body know anything about it plz explain it and also tell can i do this with iptables

Re: how to get application name

Quote Originally Posted by irumleo
    i want to filter packets based on application name in C language e.g to block msn messenger i want to filter it by application name so if any body know anything about it plz explain it and also tell can i do this with iptables
    Would you mind clarifying this question? I don't think I know the answer, but if I did I would probably need to know the following:

Are you writing a programme in C, and if so what is the purpose of that programme?

Do you want to block a specific website/IP address? That is actually quite easy.

What are you trying to achieve in general?

That might help you get a decent answer ... I think ...

- Fingal
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Re: how to get application name

i am writing netfilter code in C language to filter packets based on source IP addresses and destination ports.now i want to filter packets based on application name e.g we open msn messenger it tell the application name.i do not want to block specific website,i just want to block any application by its name e.g internet explorer,mozilla etc so if u kindly guide me in this context it will be very helpful