Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've read many good things about Shorewall, it being a "Full state iptables firewall" and all. I have a couple of questions regarding "Shorewall". First of all, are there any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Questions about iptables, shorewall, and firewall's???

I've read many good things about Shorewall, it being a "Full state iptables firewall" and all. I have a couple of questions regarding "Shorewall".

First of all, are there any other firewall app's comparable to Shorewall that have similar features and capabilities (for example, something like Zonealarm)?

Next question is, are there any GUI frontends to shorewall or is it only available as a text based firewall??

Of course I will be seeking out these inqueries on my own as well, but as usual I like to get as many different perspectives as I can from more experienced users as well as helping out *nix nOOb's in the process ...

Shorewall is the default firewall provided with Mandriva, and that distro provides some simple gui features to get you going. Actually, all you have are a few tick boxes, which you leave unchecked to prevent anything accessing you from the internet.

Zonealarm? The nearest thing I can think of is Guarddog, which is a frontend to IP tables. Very easy to configure. Shorewall isn't easy if it isn't built into your distro.

Smoothwall is another option. That comes with a web page front end, and is well regarded.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso