Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I'm new to Linux, i had use Windows last time I would like to know how to backup my data in Linux? what are the methodologies available?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

System backup

hi,
    I'm new to Linux, i had use Windows last time
    I would like to know how to backup my data in Linux?
    what are the methodologies available?
    Proper Planing is a way of success

It depends on your requirements and which distro you are using. I use Mandriva. As a casual desktop user, Mandriva allows me to backup onto various media - CDRs etc., or to backup into a directory. All of this is menu driven. You can do incremental backups or completely new ones.

Any distro will support the above in one way or another.

Or you can backup onto a floppy: for small files. You can schedule backups to take place automatically. There are plenty of options.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    It depends on your requirements and which distro you are using. I use Mandriva. As a casual desktop user, Mandriva allows me to backup onto various media - CDRs etc., or to backup into a directory. All of this is menu driven. You can do incremental backups or completely new ones.

Any distro will support the above in one way or another.

Or you can backup onto a floppy: for small files. You can schedule backups to take place automatically. There are plenty of options.
    is it Free of charge?

Quote Originally Posted by thcc2
    is it Free of charge?
    It depends. The idea of 'free' in the world of open source software suggests 'freedom'. Vendors of open source software are free to charge for it, or not.

My current Mandriva distro cost me 6 which is the price of the magazine it came with. You might order a distro from a mail order supplier, and it would cost you for postage and packing and a few overheads.

People are free to distribute the operating systems, study OS code and alter/improve that as they see fit, provided they agree to distribute that code under the same license.

So it might be free of charge, or not. I could pay 60+ for the system I'm currently using, and it would contain extra software and commercial (non-free) drivers, but as my needs are simple I choose to pay a lot less. I could use that 6 system to run a server, or just keep it for desktop applications. It takes time and effort to learn, but it's worth it in the end.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Quote Originally Posted by thcc2
    is it Free of charge?
    It depends. The idea of 'free' in the world of open source software suggests 'freedom'. Vendors of open source software are free to charge for it, or not.

My current Mandriva distro cost me 6 which is the price of the magazine it came with. You might order a distro from a mail order supplier, and it would cost you for postage and packing and a few overheads.

People are free to distribute the operating systems, study OS code and alter/improve that as they see fit, provided they agree to distribute that code under the same license.

So it might be free of charge, or not. I could pay 60+ for the system I'm currently using, and it would contain extra software and commercial (non-free) drivers, but as my needs are simple I choose to pay a lot less. I could use that 6 system to run a server, or just keep it for desktop applications. It takes time and effort to learn, but it's worth it in the end.
    Before that, my understanding on Open Source is that i no need to pay $ for usage, Got i question i will like to ask u, if i make changes on the source code of the Open Source software, is the owner of the software (eg: Linux RedHat) has the right to sell to other

Open Source does not mean it doesn't cost anything. Open Source means that the source code is available for you to view and alter as you like. For more information google on the term "gnu public license" or "GPL" -- that will tell you everything you need.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Open Source does not mean it doesn't cost anything. Open Source means that the source code is available for you to view and alter as you like. For more information google on the term "gnu public license" or "GPL" -- that will tell you everything you need.
    OK