Find the answer to your Linux question:
I understand the difference between a rootkit and a virus, however my customer is in need of virus protection for their linux based systems. I recommended RKHunter but they already ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can LinuxShield identify known rootkits

I understand the difference between a rootkit and a virus, however my customer is in need of virus protection for their linux based systems. I recommended RKHunter but they already use McAfee for their windows systems and would like to keep it simple. My question is, does LinuxShield look for rootkits and can you customize it to look for specific ones. Any help would be appreciative. If you have other products that might fit the bill, please pass them along as well. As usual, we are trying to keep the cost and a bare minimum.

Thanks - meiser

No idea about your specific question. What I have used in the past to check for rootkits is chkrootkit - http://www.chkrootkit.org/

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    I just needed to know if LinuxShield could be configured to look for known rootkits. I have tested RKHunter and it will do the trick. However, my customer would prefer LinuxShield and I was just trying to gather as many facts as possible for them. I will check out chkrootkit and thank you for the quick reply.

Meiser