Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Linux Fedora Core 4. i will truely appreciate if someone can answer these questions.. Firstly in which file the passwords are writen in ? Secondly how can i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Passwords without the encoding

I have Linux Fedora Core 4.
    i will truely appreciate if someone can answer these questions..
    Firstly in which file the passwords are writen in ?
    Secondly how can i see the passwords without the encoding ?
    please send link to a guide or a file that shows the root's and the users passwords without the encoding..

Linux Enthusiast
    The passwords are stored in /etc/shadow using a one way hash. When you say you want to see the passwords without encoding, are you trying to recover the passwords from an existing system? or do you want the tools to store the passwords in the clear?

Also, are you sure you need to recover the password? There are many ways to change the password even if you don't have the root pasword for your system (it is your system isn't it)

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Linux Newbie
    If you want to see the passwords in plain text you have to crack them, and depending on hash type and strength, it may take years to hardcrack them. Also storing passwords in plain text is really insane, I think. There is no reason to do that, it makes your system really insecure. And as Chris said, there is many ways to reset forgotten root password.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close