Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it necessary to run a anti-virus since linux is far less prone to virus and spyware?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anti-Virus

Is it necessary to run a anti-virus since linux is far less prone to virus and spyware?

Quote Originally Posted by Thetwizler24
    Is it necessary to run a anti-virus since linux is far less prone to virus and spyware?
    Most people on here will say 'No' and they have a point. Given the extra security, viruses would find it hard to spread around your system.

Personally I do scan for viruses from time to time using ClamAv. I use a KlamAv frontend designed for KDE.

There's a package called rootkit hunter, and you should definitely install that and run it from time to time (or schedule it to run regularly depending on your needs). Viruses *are* a possibility, and so are password cracks, denial of service attacks etc. If you harden your system though, you will be very secure indeed. My desktop has:

A router firewall
    A software (Shorewall) firewall
    Bastille (a Perl setup for hardening a system)
    ClamAv
    John the Ripper (for testing passwords)
    rootkit hunter

It all helps!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run any, but that's not to say that I shouldn't, or you shouldn't. If you are really careful about what you install and open, I think you're probably safe. However, some users should run AV software and any other security apps they can implement.

ozar
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The other thing to think about is, what is a trusted source for a package?

We go around downloading software, sometimes installing it as root. It would be a good idea to virus check everything you download. I don't! But I think I should, and I'm tightening up a lot now.

I think it's only a matter of time before we get a virus wake-up call. Just my two pennies worth.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Most people on here will say 'No' and they have a point. Given the extra security, viruses would find it hard to spread around your system.

Personally I do scan for viruses from time to time using ClamAv. I use a KlamAv frontend designed for KDE.

There's a package called rootkit hunter, and you should definitely install that and run it from time to time (or schedule it to run regularly depending on your needs). Viruses *are* a possibility, and so are password cracks, denial of service attacks etc. If you harden your system though, you will be very secure indeed. My desktop has:

A router firewall
    A software (Shorewall) firewall
    Bastille (a Perl setup for hardening a system)
    ClamAv
    John the Ripper (for testing passwords)
    rootkit hunter

It all helps!

I was woundering If you had links for the software so I can try them. I'm going to be running Linux at home here when I get some time. So I would like to keep my system secure.

Thanks.