Find the answer to your Linux question:
Splunking at my logs I found a long chain of unauthorized entries, already captured the IP's and MAC addresses, actually I use firestarter as my firewall solution but It doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question: How do I block someone using MAC or IP Address? (IPTables)

Splunking at my logs I found a long chain of unauthorized entries, already captured the IP's and MAC addresses, actually I use firestarter as my firewall solution but It doesn't allow me to introduce and Inbound "Black list" so I thought using IPTables...

How can I block this buggy guys trying to flood my server using iptables with MAC filtering (preferrable) or IP (last solution)? Please try to give me a full syntax and some little samples.

I'm still an trainee and training the hard way (by my own and continously reading my logs @.@) 'cause they don't teach this right now at my college (I'm a Linux geek Freshman XD), so please, patience about this question.

Thx for reading, I appreciate your answers & comments

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m mac --mac-source XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -j DROP
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s <address[/mask]> -j DROP
    The first drops packets from selected MAC-address, second drops packets from selected IP.

For example this could be a file which you load with iptables-restore (because iptables interpretes this, you don't need to give "/sbin/iptables"). Note this example config won't give a full protection for you!
    Code:
    *filter
    :INPUT DROP [0:0]
    :FORWARD DROP [0:0]
    :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]

-A INPUT -m mac --mac-source 00:00:00:00:00:00 -j DROP
    -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.1 -j DROP

COMMIT
    Remember also that MAC and IP are both easy to change or even spoof.

Thanks 4 your help and pacience ! It really helps me a lot !
    Well... I'm going to still searching effective ways to stop attacks, still learning and I thought It would be easy to stop them via MAC...
    Thank you ! See you around.