Find the answer to your Linux question:
guys, i have this such info on my etc/passwd, what does this mean nobody :99:99:nobody:/: i have finger it and the result was: me@darkstar:~$ finger nobody Login: nobody Name: nobody ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

whois nobody

guys, i have this such info on my etc/passwd, what does this mean

nobody:99:99:nobody:/:

i have finger it and the result was:

me@darkstar:~$ finger nobody
    Login: nobody Name: nobody
    Directory: / Shell: /bin/sh
    Never logged in.
    No mail.
    No Plan.

what does this mean? do i have an extra user aside from ME and root?
    pls help
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Just Joined!
    do i have an extra user aside from ME and root?
    Yes. Daemons (services)

Linux Newbie
    if that's the case..is it natural? or can i delete this?.... i think i got this because i have my apache active..
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Just Joined!
    You should not delete system accounts. I dont remeber what nobody used for. Will look tomorrow. Now going to bed. :sleep:

Just Joined!
    "To do network setups, the Apache HTTP server must start with root permissions. Specifically, it needs to bind itself to port 80 so that it can listen for requests and accept connections. Once it does this, Apache can give up its rights and run as nonroot user, as specified in its configuration files. By default, this is the user nobody." Steven Graham: Linux Administration, A User's Guide, p.287.

Linux Newbie
    can u suggest a link where i can find info/documents about setting up APACHE 1.3.34? im in the process of studying it. and im hoping for a .pdf file of the documentation, so im searching for one

Just Joined!
    I have never installed apache but try the following link: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/

Linux Newbie
    yeah i already copied some configs there..thanks