Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know about counters? Someone told me that if you enter a group or site with a counter they can trace your internet service provider (isp) is this true? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Please I Need Your Help

Does anyone know about counters?

Someone told me that if you enter a group or site with a counter they can trace your internet service provider (isp) is this true?
    Could they Hack into my site if they know it?

Quote Originally Posted by queenbee
    Does anyone know about counters?

Someone told me that if you enter a group or site with a counter they can trace your internet service provider (isp) is this true?
    Could they Hack into my site if they know it?
    Pretty much all websites keep a log of what IP addresses make requests to them, so regardless of whether the site has a counter (which is simply a count of the number of unique IP requests made to the page), someone can at least tell what IP address you have at that moment and what ISP owns that address.

As for hacking your site, no. Most ISPs use dynamic IP assignment, which means each time you log on you get a different IP. Even in the case of static IPs, most networks use subnet masking and other methods to hide your "real" internet address from outside traffic. You're not in imminent danger here.

Not to mention for someone to crack into your website or your computer they need more than just an IP address which may or may not be masked. They also need an open port and some sort of user authorization.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

some more help plz

Thank you hun for that VERY useful info... im glad i know now
    If someone hacks into my website and taken over all my managering passwords etc... is there anything i can do to kick them off and get my website back? or am i wasting my time?

Quote Originally Posted by queenbee
    Thank you hun for that VERY useful info... im glad i know now
    If someone hacks into my website and taken over all my managering passwords etc... is there anything i can do to kick them off and get my website back? or am i wasting my time?
    Well, should your site get cracked into, usually the purpose of attacks like that is simply to deface and leave. I would recommend immediately changing your passwords and contacting your ISP if you can't get in. The best advice I can give is to use common sense. Don't give out your site passwords, make sure your ISP has some sort of security set up on your site, change your site's administrative password regularly, and use non-dictionary passwords. For example:

Code:
    mypasswordislame
    This password is easy to crack using a "dictionary" attack. Basically the person who wants access will keep trying to log in using random words from the dictionary, and eventually they'll find the right combination. I recommend using characters other than letters and using letters that don't spell things. To remember it, use a phrase.

For example, a much more secure password would be "I hate those stupid password crackers! They're mostly 12." The resulting password would be:

Code:
    ihtspc!tm12
    This is much harder to crack, uses numbers and non-letter characters, and isn't vulnerable to a "dictionary" attack.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants