Find the answer to your Linux question:
I read today in a PC magazine that some Polish security group found a big security hole in the Linux kernels till the version 2.6 It has something to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Unstable kernels !!!

I read today in a PC magazine that some Polish security group found a big security hole in the Linux kernels till the version 2.6 It has something to do with the component mremap which manages virtual memory. The security group states that the hole coud be used for remote execution of any program. It also says that there is a patch on RedHat's site for their systems. Maybe this should deserve some attention .

Linux Guru
    It's true that the hole exists, but it can't be used for remote arbitrary code execution from any program. It can only used to raise your privileges once you have code running. It's fixed in 2.6.1 and 2.4.24.

Linux Newbie
    Ok then, no threat. BTW how to configure services under Slackware 9.1 ? chkconfig is not installed. Is configuring iptables enough protection for a home machine ? I got a bit worried when i saw that book Hacking Linux exposed

Check out /etc/rc.d/rc.inet[0-1] and other services. Chmod 0 the service you don't wan't or simply delete them. More about this very subject can be found in www.slackware.com/book

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    Thanks kriss, that book helped a lot. Although, I still have a lot to read. Would never have visited the official site.