Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me be direct. I do know how to use AMAZON and google. What I was hoping for was a recommendation from somebody who has either had a class or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone have or read a good book on LInux/Unix Security?

Let me be direct. I do know how to use AMAZON and google. What I was hoping for was a recommendation from somebody who has either had a class or read a very good book

Users helping Users!

Linux Guru
    Ive read Hacking Linux Exposed which was good, and a book IIRC called "Redhat Firewalls" by redhat press which covers IP tables to some depth, and also includes a bit information about general security as well.

Other than that, just read tutorials, guides etc from the internet

Jason

Just Joined!
    I have an excellent book on Linux security called "Real World Linux Security" by Bob Toxen. He is very hard core and very knowledgeable, but also explains stuff in a common sense manner. But be warned, you need some good background in Linux. It's not a book for newbies. Also, it's a 700+ page paperback tome.

The author even discusses the vulnerabilities of how the X server uses tcp/ip port 6000 for delivering its windowing stuff! wow :-\

Cheers.

Just Joined!
    Hiya,

Hacker's Challenge (Mike Schiffman) is an interesting book to read. It shows you how systems are broken into from the hacker's perspective, and then guides you through how the break-in could have been avoided. Very eye-opening!

Another good book which I was at first sceptical about was 'The Art of Deception' by Kevin Mitnick. It's not specifically Unix/Linux related, but it does show you how to get access to systems using social engineering previously out of bounds. You'd be suprised how well some of the techniques work

Shaman

Just Joined!
    well i have a huge collection of books more then 700 book but the best one i ever read is " building internet firewalls 2nd edition" it's one of the best books ever written about security and firewalls, well plus you have plenty of other books and tutorials that u can find on the net that cn help you alot with your security issues

regards
    -Dewey-

"pain is the reward"

Just Joined!
    I'd put in a second vote for "Real World Linux Security." It is a great guide for securing many parts of your system. The author set it up with lists of projects to complete to harden your system and even gave each one a priority rating. There are so many that you'll never have the time or really need to perform them all, but it's quite informative.