Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 2 computer (windows XP) network that utilizes a linux box (redhat 9) as a firewall via a hub (not a router just a hub) and also my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I cant Game through a linux firewall

I have a 2 computer (windows XP) network that utilizes a linux box (redhat 9) as a firewall via a hub (not a router just a hub) and also my wireless internet card (cisco aironet 350) is also in the linux box. my isp engineer got everything set up today and both xp machines work very well but I am a big time online gamer and when i asked my isp guy how to open the proper ports for my particular game he said that it would be very difficult. I would like to know where in linux red hat 9 I go to open these ports and how do i do it this os has a very nice gui but im a linux newbie and am lost in linux land.

Linux Engineer
    would be nice if u knew what this isp guy did. (and what ISP ur with coz i cant fidn any that help with linux problems )

games do work thru a linux firewall coz i do it all the time.the gui may or may not be of nay help dependign on what firewall frontend u have isntalled. if u can fidn this out it would help

Just Joined!
    I emailed him to find out ,but he was talking about iptables and something called ipmasquerade i will find out and post a more complete repily my ISP's name is sliderule.net thank you for responding to my post

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Well, I'm going to assume that you are trying to serve a game from one of those machines. All you need to do is forward the right port on the firewall using iptables. As for masquerading, I don't see how this is relevant to gaming. If masquerading isn't functioning as of now, you probably have a proxy server but these days, I'm under the impression that masquerading (NAT) is a better way. I still don't see why masquerading would be important here.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    no i am trying to connect to a game on a server i am a real linux newbee

Linux Engineer
    I wonder, are you using a proxy server?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    not to my knolege

Linux Guru
    Iptables is a command line tool for controling your firewall. (see also: http://www.netfilter.org/)

Now, the problem here is that someone else ("the ISP Guy") has set all this up, and we have no idea what customisations he has put in etc, eg, are your firewall rules part of a script, where is the script, Ip address ranges, ISP requirements etc etc

My advice to you is to go back to this ISP guy of yours, and get him to provide you with the proper documentation that you should receive with any new system / setup. That should explain how to look after the system.

Jason