Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, This is my first post on this Linux forum so I hope that I don't wast anybodies time. I found a good server provider in the USA for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Firewall Question?

Hi,

This is my first post on this Linux forum so I hope that I don't wast anybodies time.

I found a good server provider in the USA for a dedicated Server but they don't offer any Firewall service.

As I am not experienced with Linux I ask me the question if there exists an not to expensive Software who can be installed on the server and who acts as firewall like Symantec does it for my home PC in Belgium.
    When I say not to expensive I mean less than 300$ a year.

1) Does there exists any software who can be installed on this Linux server?

2) If there is no software how can I protect my server? because I saw that a lot of server providers ask up tp 75$ a month for a firewall.

Please, please help me with an advise.
    Do I really need to pay 75$ a month.

Carlo

There are a number of firewalls. Iptables, smoothwall, etc. The real thing here is being able to administer the firewall, which takes a fair amount of knowledge of tcp/IP protocols. Ids and a webmin type application to monitor are also good tools. Have a look around the networking section of these forums.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise