Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I installed Klamav on Ubuntu. Then I updated it and scanned my windows partitions. It detected a total of 97 viruses. Things like zip.exceedfileslimit, broken.executable, oversizedzip etc. Also detected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clamav detecting lots and lots of viruses!

Well I installed Klamav on Ubuntu. Then I updated it and scanned my windows partitions. It detected a total of 97 viruses. Things like zip.exceedfileslimit, broken.executable, oversizedzip etc.
    Also detected were trojan.aavirus in virscan9.dat in symantec dir. Exploit.html.mhtredir-8 was detected in hiberfile.sys and pagefile.sys. Are these all viruses and what should I do about them

First be very sure that these actually are viruses.

Either delete or quarantine them if they are (I would delete them personally). Clamav treats some very large files as 'viruses', but I don't know why this is the case.

You might want to look in an online virus database somewhere to get an idea of what those files have been doing on your system, or to find out which ones are innocent.

Another virus DB. Others available from Googling.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Well its detecting viruses in my windows pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys. Can I delete them safely without affecting windows?

Quote Originally Posted by malikdaud
    Well its detecting viruses in my windows pagefile.sys and hiberfile.sys. Can I delete them safely without affecting windows?
    Hi malikdaud,
    I don't know Jack about clamav, but I don't think you want to be deleting stuff all willy nilly.......get another free AV scanner such as AVG for windows (google it), and if it tells you the same files are infected, you probably have an infection or two.
    Cheers!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Maybe the viruses are hidden inside the hibernation files (very common) but I haven't treated a Windows virus for a while so I can0t help you so much
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Hi !!

dont delete window's virus using Linux AntiVirus....... windows has different architecture and file system... whole system rely on file extensions.....
    Linux AntiVirus is not going to detect window's viruses correctly.
    Pagefile.sys works like SWAP space of linux....... a file for holding temporary data.....when you switch of machine it flush all data in it... its not a virus file...
    Use Norton or AVG for windows.....

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    OK. I'll try AVG then.

Just Joined!

new to this

i've recently had linux installed and know very little about this os. should i be using an anti-virus and i can't seem to be able to view wmv files with kaffeine. any suggestions?

Hi !!

Quote Originally Posted by pedros
    i've recently had linux installed and know very little about this os. should i be using an anti-virus and i can't seem to be able to view wmv files with kaffeine. any suggestions?
    normally you dont need anti virus software in Linux...
    for wmv files... search this forum or start new thread........ this thread is for 'virus problem only'

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First