Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I searched but couldn't find anything like this. We get regular "dictionary attacks" on our ssh ports. People or programs trying various username/password combination trying to log in. Sometimes close ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can we limit login failures from an IP address

I searched but couldn't find anything like this.

We get regular "dictionary attacks" on our ssh ports. People or programs trying various username/password combination trying to log in. Sometimes close to a 1000. The next day reviewing the logs we block the addresses or range around the addresses if it looks like a dynamic ip using IPTables.

Is there anyway to enforce a rule that says any particular source ip can only have so many login failures before it is shut down?

Thanks,

Joe

hmm...
    i'm not at all experienced in this sort of thing, but here are a few tips:

i think you can block certain ip adresses using the hosts.deny file.

first of all though, it might be better f you post the current contents of your /etc/hosts.deny file, in case you alreay have rules set.

open a terminal and type:

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts.deny
    that will tell you whats in the hosts.deny file.

some distros like sure and fedora/redhat already come with gui tools for this kind of system administration, so we could also be more helpful if you tell us what distribution you are using.
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using RedHat Enterprise 3.

Hosts.deny is more benign than iptables DROP but neither do what I'm looking for.

To try to clarify. As a security measure I would like to detect people and programs that are trying to login in using random username/password combinations and automatically keep them from stumbling onto a valid combination. Right now they get to try it one evening until I manually block them after seeing in my Logwatch report.

Joe

hm, since you are using RHEL, is there any chance that RedHat might have a solution for this problem? you did pay for the support anyway...

i'm not pushing you away, but i realy don't know what else i there is to do.
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    You could probably write a "daemon" shell script to read login failures off the logs: failed root attempts are logged but you could probably get other failures logging too. /var/log/messages records the IP address, and you could just grep for multiple failures from the same IP. with 'wc -l' you could check for more than x failures and add them to the hosts.deny.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by idle
    You could probably write a "daemon" shell script to read login failures off the logs: failed root attempts are logged but you could probably get other failures logging too. /var/log/messages records the IP address, and you could just grep for multiple failures from the same IP. with 'wc -l' you could check for more than x failures and add them to the hosts.deny.
    Thanks Idle!

That sounds very doable. I'll get on it.

Joe

Just Joined!
    There are a few main ways to stop a brute force attack

- restricting the amount of login attempts that a user can perform
    - banning a users IP after multiple failed login attempts
    - keep a close eye on your log files for suspicious login attempts

I would suggest you to install BFD tools from : http://rfxnetworks.com/bfd.php

Just Joined!

IP Tables

The best way that I have found for doing this is this:
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 8 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP

The downside to this is that every time you reboot or restart iptables you have to do this again. The easiest thing to do is put it in a bash script. There is a great article @ TechBlog - How to: Block brute force attacks with iptables

Check out denyhosts and fail2ban.

Although it's not a direct solution to your problem, the way I got rid of brute forcers was changing the ssh port. Since I changed it I have only had one attempt on my box - and I changed it maybe 18 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast