Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I'm a linux newbie. my distro is Suse 10.1 and i want to ask if theres any way to disable the dialog that asks for the root pass... i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Theres any way to disable the root pass?

hello,
    I'm a linux newbie.
    my distro is Suse 10.1 and i want to ask if theres any way to disable the
    dialog that asks for the root pass...
    i want to make my name act as a root...
    for example... I've created an openoffice shortcut on my desktop and theres a
    lock icon on it... when im trying to change it's premission to write read and another one (i cant remember), it not allows me... i cant do it because the checkboxes cant be checked...
    and another thing.... everytime that im trying to change a setting, it asks for the root password...

theres any way to disable all this root password security?? tnx...

This is a very common question with noobs, they want Linux to resemble Windows as much as possible, please read this http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW1.htm
    Read this thread please, there's a big discussion there http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...any-gui-2.html
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    so i cant be logged as a root in the GUI mode??
    i need to get use to the console?

No, you can run graphical programs as root. When you run a program that needs root permissions (like a system utility), it'll prompt you for the root password. You can log on as root, but it isn't a good idea for security reasons (besides, you shouldn't need to enter the root password that much).
    I have sold my soul to the penguin