Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello wonderfull people. Can somebody spare five minutes to help me out? You see I've installed clamav for the first time and there are a few things that i just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

antivirus help

hello wonderfull people.

Can somebody spare five minutes to help me out?
    You see I've installed clamav for the first time and there are a few things that
    i just dont get and really need some help with. Its my first experience with linux
    and after the luxury of installing Antivirus on windows i'm totally confused.

is there anywhere that runs through the basics of linux antivirus for noob's
    or does anybody have the patiencet to walk me through it?

for example, why do i have to create a new group and user account?

any help would be grate fully received!
    " I didn't know it was a picture of his wife! I thought it was a publicity shot form Planet Of the Apes."

Are you running a server with Windows clients? If not you should not need an antivirus just a good firewall
    for example, why do i have to create a new group and user account?
    Most server programs (like ClamAV) need a new user for security reasons.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by the bassinvader
    is there anywhere that runs through the basics of linux antivirus for noob's
    or does anybody have the patiencet to walk me through it?
    Here's a thread that might help.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Smile

Are you running a server with Windows clients? If not you should not need an antivirus just a good firewall
    Nope a home PC but i read pretty much all of the info from TechieMoes link and found the conclusion was that u're better off with than without. I guess i didn't expect it to be complicated.

I'm up to date on all security patches and running guarddog but am i going over the top for a noob? Am i reasonably safe with what i've got?

truth is i'm interested in it whether i need it or not so are there any good tutorials or books that anybody could recommend
    " I didn't know it was a picture of his wife! I thought it was a publicity shot form Planet Of the Apes."