Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm curious is, there ANY reason to run settroubleshootd if your not running a web server? The only documentation I can find about it relates to watching web servers and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

settroubleshootd massive CPU use

I'm curious is, there ANY reason to run settroubleshootd if your not running a web server? The only documentation I can find about it relates to watching web servers and since this is on my desktop I'm not running Apache. What I am getting is troubleshootd eating up CPU cycles at an insane rate. Enough that it's causing burps with other applications.

I'm running a mostly stock base FC6 distro. Tried to shut it down with chkconfig with no luck. Do I have to mod a SELinux policy somewhere to kill this CPU eater?

System->Administration->Services

Does it appear there?
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Just Joined!
    Nope, using KDE and with FC6 all the admin apps are not there. I've done a little digging and found out why it's using up so much CPU time. It's killing almost every program I try to run. It kills Mozilla, prevented my scanner from working, it kills Open office, it kills kills and kills. I am taking whole SELinux daemon down. I can't run anything without settroubleshootd killing it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's the daemon mafia...

Oh, well if it's KDE, then it should be in Administration on the K menu.

Just Joined!
    Daemon mafia LOL,

Actually it's not and I'm not happy about it. Had to open a 2nd session as root in Gnome to get at the printer, troubleshootd logs and other admin functions. The KDE rpms for FC6 are horribly maimed. Either that or KDE junked all admin abilities. Not sure which but I'm not a happy camper about it.

That's strange, all the Red Hat admin tools showed up in KDE for FC5... I think the name of the program is system-config-services, or something like that, so worst-case you could always run it from a terminal.

Just Joined!
    Yup, with FC3, FC5, RH9. Just not with FC6. I had to create a Gnome root session just to reconfigure my printer. Couldn't remember the command line version. Ole memory is starting to go it appears Wish I could import the Gnome menus into my KDE Gnome menus. Got to be a way to do it. I'm also almost tempted to remove KDE and build it from scratch as much as I hate doing that. One of the reasons I've never tried Ubuntu is the lack of native KDE support. You have to get Kubuntu to get KDE support and I suspect the Gnome support is limited in Kubuntu. I use both KDE and Gnome apps frequently. In fact I feel like I have half a desktop without having both.