Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The output of the command shows that our new mount option has not been applied. You can remount it with: Code: # mount -o remount /mnt/ntfs Then give it a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The output of the command shows that our new mount option has not been applied.

You can remount it with:
    Code:
    # mount -o remount /mnt/ntfs
    Then give it a try again (and show the results of the mount command again).

If remounting it doesn't apply the new mount option, then reboot.

Just Joined!
    This is the line in my fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs umask=0222,defaults 0 0

When I issue the command

mount -o remount /mnt/ntfs

nothing happens.

I still have no access to my windows files--except as root.

Something should happen -- presumably it's remounting that filesystem. And how about the results of mount after doing that?

edit: Moving along, you've probably figured out what the mount command without arguments does by now. It shows the mount options for currently mounted filesystems. You need for that umask option to be applied to the ntfs filesystem. So if it's not applied after remounting, then try rebooting (which I mentioned earlier).

That should work. If it doesn't then create a new group and throw in the gid option that I mentioned a few posts ago, and you should be in business.

man mount - search for ntfs.

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much! It decided to work this morning! I suppose it was yet another logging off and logging back on thing. I actually didn't know about the mount command without arguments until after it started working.

I am deeply appreciative. Seriously. Yet, I still wonder how security is helped by making this so hard--unless there is some concern about windows viruses invading linux someway. I have no clue about windows virus could invade, but I'm sure it is possible. Also I realize that the world is not a perfect place and that Windows also its problems. Unfortunately, I have to use my windows partition to do my banking. Microsoft won't let me download their new tabbed browser, because it can't verify that my software is genuine. The software is genuine. It's just that Microsoft hasn't got around to getting their evil verification machine to work with 64 bit installs.

This is the thought that I--an ignorant person--had about security, but I assume that it is comp sci textbooks: if you make simple task difficult for the user, you make the system less safe--as the user attempts various ways to work around the problem. On the other hand, I suppose simplicity is the eye of the beholder. Are there any good articles you could recommend to a layman about these issues?

Good news. Your appropriately renamed thread will be a resource for future users with the same problem.

There's a frequently recommended free book on the web called rute you might like to check out. If it's a bit too heady, then I would suggest visiting your local bookstore to review Linux for Beginners books. If you can find an author / writing style that agrees with you, that's really the best place to start.

Just remember: GNU/Linux is a whole new ballgame, which means a new learning curve. Give it some time and patience and hopefully you'll be happy with it in the end.

edit: As for the philosophical points you bring up about security and convenience being inversely proportionate, all I can say is: it goes with the territory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2