Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I need to get the root password, which is basically stored in /etc/shadow file in md5 format. I want it in decrypted format. Any suggestion?? Thanx.......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question how to get decrypted password???

Hi there,
    I need to get the root password, which is basically stored in /etc/shadow file in md5 format. I want it in decrypted format.
    Any suggestion??

Thanx....

You can't 'decrypt' MD5. You can't even get the shadow file without root permissions anyways. If you for some reason had root permissions and needed the root pass (shady) you would save the shadow and passwd and run jtr on them.

Just Joined!

Unhappy @likwid

Quote Originally Posted by likwid
    You can't 'decrypt' MD5. You can't even get the shadow file without root permissions anyways. If you for some reason had root permissions and needed the root pass (shady) you would save the shadow and passwd and run jtr on them.
    Thnax for concern...
    I am a newbie to linux. i somehow need to get the password string (original) or need to make something so that when i give a string which is my password for root i will get the same encrypted string. So that i can compare them for authentication. I tried with md5crypt command running on grub prompt, but it always creates a diff string(may b coz of diff key generation each time)...
    Is their any other way out to this..????
    Thanx....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Decrypting an md5 hash is impossible without 100 years, a cluster of 400 computers and a lot of luck
    GRUB-CRYPT uses 'dirty' md5 hashes (inserts random characters in the hash). If you lost your password the easiest way of changin it is booting from a live cd and chrooting inside the root partition and changing it with passwd
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums