Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am very new to the Linux world and CentOS in particluar. I would like to install CentOS 4.4 in my Desktop at home and then install oracle9i on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie has a critical concern please

Hello,
    I am very new to the Linux world and CentOS in particluar. I would like to install CentOS 4.4 in my Desktop at home and then install oracle9i on it for practice purposes. In the cause of reading the online HOWTO, I came across about 2 articles clearly stipulating that the Firewall, SELinux and Automatic DHCP must be disable.
    Now my question is: I am using a cable modem to access the internet and I am using my Desktop frequently to access the Internet too. Would this not be too much of a risk for me to bear?
    Will I still be protected from hackers (in and out bound protection)or worms, viruses etc if I disable the Firewall, SELinux and Automatic DHCP? My question might sound stupid or silly to professionalsor people who are familier with Linux security but I'm just being cautious and careful therby learning some thing new.
    I would really much appreciate any body's time for any explanation in the aformentioned concerned.
    Thank you all.

What is the specific reason behind disabling FW or SELinux or DHCP?

How is it going to affect ur working with Oracle 9i on CentOS?

It sounds too weird.
    ---------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #440311
    HI2ARUN _AT_ GMAIL _DOT_ COM

Just Joined!
    I don't actually know why or what the reason might be. I just read it online at:

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Or...rprise%20Linux

and I think some where inside this site:

http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/3

Well.. the reason for not using DHCP is, if the IP changes then Oracle tracker that keeps tracking IP address has some issues like updating the base IP. So tha t it is not suggested.

But using Firewalls is not a problem. http://www.pauck.de/marco/misc/oracl...firewalls.html

SELinux is recommended to be disabled just to make debugging simple, in case if Oracle DB cud not be reached from remote clients.

But you can, not you can... you should certainly secure your DB with firewalls. In this case, you need to allow necessary ports on the FW.

Hope this helps!
    Registered Linux User #440311
    HI2ARUN _AT_ GMAIL _DOT_ COM