Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to trace a IP address through a VPN? I.e. I use a VPN to connect from my home pc to my work PC. If I was traced ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

IP Address Trace Through A VPN

Is it possible to trace a IP address through a VPN? I.e. I use a VPN to connect from my home pc to my work PC. If I was traced would my home IP be found out?

Thanks

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

VPNs like OpenVPN transmit your encrypted packets inside envelope packets that use the real IP addresses of the endpoint computers. So if someone eavesdrops on the wire, they will see traffic with the two real IP addresses, but they can't see the contents.

But if you make a connection through your VPN and onto a local network, that traffic will either have the IP address of your work PC, if you are using network address translation (NAT), or the local IP address of your home PC, if your network is set up to forward packets appropriately. In either of these cases, someone could probably figure out where the traffic is coming from.

Are you doing something sneaky?

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. I've just sort of developed a way around URL and keyword blocking. The main application that I would use would be JAP (do a google search for it as I'm currently on work experience with a division of Allstate and it will be blocked). JAP is a localhost proxy, You install it and it encrypts the URL and all of the content you send so it can't be blocked. ITs a very nice piece of software and its open source . I'm currently trying to refine another method that uses your browsers address bar. If you want the details just leave a post.

The reason I've been researching all these details is because my Dad blocks everything on the router and its a pain in the arse lol!

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Wright View Post
    Thanks. I've just sort of developed a way around URL and keyword blocking. The main application that I would use would be JAP (do a google search for it as I'm currently on work experience with a division of Allstate and it will be blocked). JAP is a localhost proxy, You install it and it encrypts the URL and all of the content you send so it can't be blocked. ITs a very nice piece of software and its open source . I'm currently trying to refine another method that uses your browsers address bar. If you want the details just leave a post.

The reason I've been researching all these details is because my Dad blocks everything on the router and its a pain in the arse lol!

Tim
    I just hope you don't have Things like this open to the public and it's actually Used for a good reason (but yet if people where good why would this have been created in the first place? Child safety?)