Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, does anyone know any apoplications to stop selected information from being sent over the internet? For example I install an application but don't want my name or product key ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Post Prevent applications from communicating

Hi, does anyone know any apoplications to stop selected information from being sent over the internet? For example I install an application but don't want my name or product key bening sent to the company?

The software would have to be able to work on both Linux and Windows. Just drop a post off here if you know what I'm talking about

Thanks in advance,

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Just Joined!
    If you knew more information about the data being sent - eg the remote host it was communicating with, the destination port, you could filter these with iptables.

Iptables also allows you to match packets based on the uid or pid of the creator (assuming these extensions have been compiled into the kernel): eg you could block all outbound packets originating from user x, or created by the process with pid 12345

Linux Newbie
    Oh, thats suits the purpose perfectly. I'm assuming that iptables works under windows? Could you block a string of data e.g a telephone number, prodyct key, address?

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)