Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday I read Fingal's post in the security section of LinuxForums. ( Thanks Fingal ) The part about " rootkits " describes what I think gets downloaded into the startup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Archive type not supported???

Yesterday I read Fingal's post in the security section of LinuxForums. ( Thanks Fingal )

The part about " rootkits " describes what I think gets downloaded into the startup programs in my computer. I know it is there when three images show up upon startup instead of just the two for Suse and windows and my browsers do not function correctly.

I downloaded rkhunter but I could not extract or open it because of the message:

Archive type not supported!

rkhunter is a tar.gz file; can someone please instruct me on just what do I need to do to be able to extract and use this software. Thank You!!

Just moving this to the security section, as I'm sure this is the path this thread will go.

Can you try putting the file in your home directory, opening a terminal like konsole or gnome-terminal and running
    Code:
    file rkhunter.tar.gz
    tar xvf rkhunter.tar.gz
    Then post the output back if there is an error. You may need to change the filename accordingly...

I know it is there when three images show up upon startup instead of just the two
    Some distros often create new GRUB entries when the kernel is updated
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Jaun, the screen flashes too quickly to read the third entry but the top entry for Suse did change after a lengthy update. A repair installation gets rid of it ( whatever it is ) but I am getting annoyed at doing repairs every couple of days.

BigTomRodney the file is in my home folder. I think my suse os is just informing me that the software to open a tar.gz file is not on my computer. Both konsole and gnome-terminal informs me that the file does not exist.

As for the third entry, check your /boot/grub/menu.lst to see what it is.

As for the tar file, trust me, you have tar and gunzip installed unless you explicitly told Suse not to install it.

Have you tried decompressing from a relevant option in the right-click context menu?
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Checking my home folder I discovered that I have extracted both tar.bz and tar.gz files in the past. Perhaps the rkhunter download is not compatible with suse 10.