Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I have a new xw9300 workstation (dual processor, core 2) with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS installed as the OS. I intend to use it mostly for scientific ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile RH Enterprise Linux Security

Dear all,

I have a new xw9300 workstation (dual processor, core 2) with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS installed as the OS. I intend to use it mostly for scientific purposes which means heavy number crunching. It is a stand alone machine (at the moment).

Can some one advise me on the best way I can protect my machine against viruses, worms, trojans, hackers etc? Are there Linux equivalents of the Norton Anti-Virus software for windows?

Thanks.
    nadeem

Quote Originally Posted by nadeemmalik
    Can some one advise me on the best way I can protect my machine against viruses, worms, trojans, hackers etc? Are there Linux equivalents of the Norton Anti-Virus software for windows?

Thanks.
    nadeem
    Make sure you have a firewall set up. You really don't need virus scanners for Linux unless you're trying to clean up the traffic for a Microsoft Windows box that's on your network. There aren't any viruses out there for Linux at the moment. For more information, read this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Cool

[QUOTE=techieMoe]Make sure you have a firewall set up. You really don't need virus scanners for Linux unless you're trying to clean up the traffic for a Microsoft Windows box that's on your network.

Thanks. A couple of beginners questions:
    (1) How do I find out whether my workstation has firewall set up and functioning ok?
    (2) Is installing the Clam-AV and Rootkit Hunter simple, like click-and-go, or do i have to save first, decompress and run on my machine?

Regards.

Banned
    Is clamav (and any related packages) available via up2date?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by thehemi
    Is clamav (and any related packages) available via up2date?
    I don't think so because I carried out a big up2date for the first time on my new workstation and clamav was not one of the items.

I have successfully installed rkhunter, but not clamav yet.

Can anyone advise me on the firewall: how can I tell whether I have a forewall up and how good it is?

Thanks