Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Just set up a root server and need to install some add on components - to be honest out of my depth. Used to run a server in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Out of my depth! Prepared to pay for help...

Hi,

Just set up a root server and need to install some add on components - to be honest out of my depth. Used to run a server in the past. But now it comes to it again i seem to have forgetten everything I learned!

I expected a steep learning curve - but not quite the cliff face I'm finding it!

Can anyone point me at some good websites to help me get to grips with it. Offer me some intense tuition, or even do it for me for a modest fee...? Pretty desperate here!

I am told I need to to install the following for the site thats waiting to be uploaded...

---AJAX 2.0
    Video Processing Components
    ---FFmpeg FFmpeg
    ---FFmpeg-PHP ffmpeg-php
    ---Mplayer + Mencoder MPlayer - The Movie Player
    --- flv2tool (<http://inlet-media.de/flvtool2>
    Libogg + Libvorbis Xiph.org: Downloads
    LAME MP3 Encoder (http://lame.sourceforge.net/> )

Image Processing Components

Imagemagick
    GD Library 2.0

First off without diving in to deep what flavor of linux are you using.
    this will help with knowing what type of packages you will be required
    to install.

Just Joined!
    Linux 2.6.16.53-070731a

Fedora Core 4 with Plesk 8.0 (64 bit)

Seems pretty easy, I don't think you need anything but Apache in order to run AJAX applications, as you can tell from the acronym it's just JavaScript and XML

Your distribution is a bit old and I would not recommend to use it for a server, any chance to change it to something newer, like CentOS 5? or Debian maybe
    This should make your job a lot easier.

You can try installing using yum but I belive FC4 repos are not maintained anymore with newer software versions at all.

Add Livna repositories, install this package http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-4.rpm
    rpm -ivh livna-release-4.rpm

Search in Google for yum and read yum man page to learn how to use yum to install the packages you want. It's pretty easy. Something like this

yum install ffmpeg
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Okay Fedora uses RPM's but I see you have links to the programs that are tar files this is okay.

Download the files and unzip and untar them , I usually use the /opt dir but you can put them ware ever.

Enter each dir of the new program and run the configure, make and make install. when this is done

install the the GD lib's for perl you can use your term and cpan
    at a cpan prompt type i GD and you will get a list of mod's
    type install modname

now install Imagemagick

Just Joined!
    I'm feeling a total idiot now. This is all Greek to me? I need to pick up a book and go back to basics to manage this one - but I am pushed for time so probably need to get someone to do it for me in the first instance and maybe learn from that...

I know what it's like to be pushed for time. I have very little myself!
    I just do you best people at the forum will help you.
    go download everything first.

Just Joined!
    I have downloaded most today...

But it seems I know less about Linux than I thought I did and can't even remember how to get throught the damned directory structure. Figuring it is a false ecomomy for me to spend the time re-learning. Th eproject is held up, and I have way to many other things on to give to much time to what I'm guessing someone who KNOW what they are doing can achieve in an hour or two I'm guessing.

Any takers? Please.... I'm tearing my hair out (what I have left!)

AlanGNW, is this a work contract advert or a request for some direction?

If the former, maybe one of the mods could direct you to the appropriate place on the forum to post that.

If the latter, I can try to summarize the steps you'll need to take:
    • Get a newer version of Fedora. Better yet, if you require a very stable environment, get the latest CentOS (which is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone).
    • Get a book that walks you through the basics of Fedora or RHEL. Make sure the book covers using yum, which is what you'll want to get familiar with to install software.

Just Joined!
    I wasn't planning it that way. But the more I'm thinking I'm going to have to go down that route from time constraints. If there is a more appropriate place for me to post it as that being new here I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    AlanGNW, is this a work contract advert or a request for some direction?

If the former, maybe one of the mods could direct you to the appropriate place on the forum to post that.

If the latter, I can try to summarize the steps you'll need to take:
    • Get a newer version of Fedora. Better yet, if you require a very stable environment, get the latest CentOS (which is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone).
    • Get a book that walks you through the basics of Fedora or RHEL. Make sure the book covers using yum, which is what you'll want to get familiar with to install software.