Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I'm running Fedora 4, Apache 2, MySQL 4, PHP 4. I'm pretty mediocre when it comes to administering Apache. I run a website and I think I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Denial Of Service?

Hi Everyone,

I'm running Fedora 4, Apache 2, MySQL 4, PHP 4.

I'm pretty mediocre when it comes to administering Apache. I run a website and I think I was the victim of a Denial of Service attack. Pinging my website would almost always time out, or I would receive one reply and the rest would time out. Other people noticed the site being down so I know it's not a connection problem on my side.

I checked the Access logs and Error logs located at /var/log/httpd/ and I'm a little confused. Half of the text is garbled (like opening a binary file) and some of it is readable. I'm not seeing a single IP listed as accessing the site repeatedly.

I guess it could have been a firewall/router issue where the server is located.

Thoughts?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm running Fedora 4, Apache 2, MySQL 4, PHP 4.

I'm pretty mediocre when it comes to administering Apache. I run a website and I think I was the victim of a Denial of Service attack. Pinging my website would almost always time out, or I would receive one reply and the rest would time out. Other people noticed the site being down so I know it's not a connection problem on my side.

I checked the Access logs and Error logs located at /var/log/httpd/ and I'm a little confused. Half of the text is garbled (like opening a binary file) and some of it is readable. I'm not seeing a single IP listed as accessing the site repeatedly.

I guess it could have been a firewall/router issue where the server is located.

Thoughts?
    put up a network monitoring tool like
    "ntop" & monitor what's happening. who r accessing ur servers , which ip's & what protocols.
    u'll get a fair idea with the reports generated by ntop.

let me know further progress.

I still don't know why the Apache logs are all screwed up. But the message logs showed a brute force attack, attempts to SSH in. The rapidity of the SSH login attempts created a side effect similar to a DoS. We're working on banning the offending IPs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close