Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I recently set up a home server with Debian Etch and SurgeMail. Everything was fine until i only used the mail server to send and receive e-mails over other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Surgemail cannot send mail to addresses hosted on my own server

Hi!

I recently set up a home server with Debian Etch and SurgeMail. Everything was fine until i only used the mail server to send and receive e-mails over other smtp servers. I can send e-mails to any e-mail address except for my own...
    My ISP is Rogers Canada. They block the smtp port so i can only send e-mail with surgemail's message routing pointing at Rogers' smtp server with authentication. This seems to work fine, but when i try to send an e-mail to an other address hosted on my server, i get an 'faliure notice' titled mail from the rogers yahoo server saying:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<**myemail**@dynasty.sytes.net>:
    **MyIP** failed after I sent the message.
    Remote host said: 554 Failure Probable loop 33 recipient lines
    On the other hand, receiving mails from any other server and email address works flawlessly, within a few seconds.

If i turn off the message routing towards my ISP's server the problem is solved, but in that case, i can only send mails to addresses hosted on my own server.

This is how the routing is set up right now: http://dynasty.sytes.net/stuff/surge/surgeadmin.jpg
    The problem probably lies in the routing.
    Please, if anybody has experience setting up surgemail in such an environment, on anybody has ideas help me out with this!

Thanks!
    Last edited by ramon_t; 08-18-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Changed the URL...

I found a temporary solution to get around the ISP's restrictions...
    After hours of playing around with the different settings i found that this setup partially solves the problem:
    http://dynasty.sytes.net/stuff/surge/solution.jpg

The only problem with this is that i'll have to set it up for every top level domain and i won't be able to send emails to .net domains because if i set it to .net the rest of the domain setup is crossed out and i get the same error i got before.

Might be useful for somebody else having the same problem...

If someone knows about a better solution please let me know!