Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wish to install OpenEMR.. I have Mandriva 2007 PC and a win98 laptop and Samba Server on Mandriva.. The following are instructios for installing OpenEMR but I cant tell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question OpenEMR How to install

I wish to install OpenEMR..
    I have Mandriva 2007 PC and a win98 laptop and Samba Server on Mandriva..
    The following are instructios for installing OpenEMR but I cant tell if MySQL ininstalled oon my PC, though I updated from installation DVD every package bearing MySQL on it..
    I have unARKed OpenEMR into a folder called 'OpenEMR'

I am highlighting with blue the parts that I can not follow
    :

A hundred thanks for the help

Please help:

Synitech OpenEMR
    Installation Instructions
    -------------------------------------

OSI Certified Open Source Software

I...................Overview of files
    II..................Unpacking
    III.................Setup
    IV..................Version History

I. Overview of Files

interface - Contains User Interface scripts and configuration
    library - Contains backend library scripts
    old - Contains deprecated code and documentation
    sql - Contains initial database images

II. Unpacking

The OpenEMR release archive should be named as follows:

openemr-<version>-release.tar.gz -or- openemr-<version>-release.zip

To extract:

tar -pxvzf openemr-<version>-release.tar.gz
    unzip openemr-<version>-release.tar.gz

Be sure to use the -p flag when using tar, as certain permissions must be preserved.

When extracted, there will be a directory called openemr. The <version> in the compressed archive is the version of the software.

III. Setup

To setup, MySQL and Apache or another PHP-capable webserver must be configured.
    To download Apache, visit Welcome! - The Apache Software Foundation
    For information on how to install MySQL, visit MySQL AB :: The world's most popular open source database
    PHP may be downloaded from PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

Copy the OpenEMR folder into the root folder of the webserver.

Make sure the server is running, and point a web-browser to setup.php located within the openemr web folder. If you installed OpenEMR in the root web directory, the URL would read: http://localhost/openemr/setup.php. From there, the script will step you through the configuration of the database. The setup script can be left with default values, with the exception of the root password, needed when setup installs the databases on its own. The user password is recommended, but not required. Should an error occur on the writing of the configuration file, check to see that the webserver has permission to write to the file. It may be necessary to temporarily set the file to a+w permissions on *nix systems.

The file openemr/interface/globals.php must be edited by hand to reflect the path and address of your webserver. The values for $webserver_root and $web_root must be set accordingly. Also, to change the appearance of OpenEMR, uncomment or comment theme-description lines at the bottom of config.php.

Once the system has been configured properly, you may login. Connect to the webserver where the files are stored with your web browser. Login to the system using the username 'admin', and the password 'pass', both without the quotes. From there, select the "Setup" option, and customize the system to your needs. Add users and groups as is needed. For information on using OpenEMR, consult the User Documentation located in the Documentation folder.

To create custom encounter forms, go to the openemr/Documentation/3rd Party Form API.txt and openemr/interface/forms/OpenEMR_form_example-rev2.tar.gz files and read the included documentation. A few forms are provided initially as examples.
    dr_smit
    Registered Linux User # 442381
    You get life once....... If you live right, once is enough!
    Mandriva 2008, CentOS 5, Sabalyon..

Can't Configure MySQL & PHP

I finally did http://localhost/openemr/setup.php and it opened the following window:-

Synitech OpenEMR Setup

Welcome to Synitech OpenEMR. This utility will step you through the configuration of OpenEMR for your practice. Before proceeding, be sure that you have a properly installed and configured MySQL server available, and a PHP configured webserver.

[Continue button]

but pressing continue button brings back to the same window!!!

How do I make sure that MySQL server is installed and available and PHP server is configured??

Please help..
    dr_smit
    Registered Linux User # 442381
    You get life once....... If you live right, once is enough!
    Mandriva 2008, CentOS 5, Sabalyon..