Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been playing with an Ubuntu Server ( my first web server) that I set up a few weeks ago. I purchased a domain name and have free hosting with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Pointing Domain to Home Servers (Do I have this right?)

I've been playing with an Ubuntu Server ( my first web server) that I set up a few weeks ago. I purchased a domain name and have free hosting with Netfirms.com. I have successfully connected to my home web server by entering my domain name in my web browser.

The problem is, when I do this my IP address shows up instead of my domain name. I know that the problem is on my end, I need to configure the server.

I'm not quite sure if I have to install DNS.

To configure the server correctly I understand that I will need to:
    • Install DNS & LAMP on my home server.
    • Install BIND9.
    • Use the name servers from Netfirms.
    • Do a lot of configuration... not sure what yet.. I'm still reading about this.

Is this correct?
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Post [SOLVED] If looking for solution read below...

I am posting this in case anyone else runs into the same problem as me.

At netfirms.com it says that I should give the domain 24-48 hours before it is propagated throughout the internet. I waited one day... I waited two days... I waited three days... I though I had to configure my server so that it would display the domain name. I began trying to get help... I waited five days... I waited six days and finally the domain displayed when it was pointed to my server!!! It's possible that this could happen to you. So be patient.

I didn't understand that the DNS server handles all of the IP and domain name display. I did some more reading, I read this article on Domain Name Servers (DNS) at HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works!. You can probably skip the first section of the article.. it basically explains what an IP address is and how it's made up. After that everything else was mostly helpful.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206